CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #341
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
Kind of an old thread I know buuuuut......

If I wanted to gain strength in the fastest amount of time, is it better to do something like Starting Strength that focuses on just the main lifts with no conditioning? Or would it be better to do a program with some conditioning (GSLP, 70s Big, 5/3/1, etc)

I ask because I know you have to eat a lot when doing a strength routine. Would the excess calories you burn from a short metcon mean you wouldn't gain as much as fast?
I have no problem keeping this thread going.

I am not a fan of SS. I don't recommend it. I DO recommend Westside, but if you feel it is too complicated etc. I would try GSLP.

The conditioning question really depends on your specific goal. What is your #1 goal?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #342
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I have no problem keeping this thread going.

I am not a fan of SS. I don't recommend it. I DO recommend Westside, but if you feel it is too complicated etc. I would try GSLP.

The conditioning question really depends on your specific goal. What is your #1 goal?
Right now my #1 goal is strength since that's what I'm lacking and what I know I need to do if I have any hope of wanting to compete.

I've looked into GSLP (was planning to follow that) but I don't know much about Westside (I'll do some more research on it since you recommend it)

My box membership is done in less then two months and there is a garage gym just down the road run by a professional powerlifter where I can actually devote a lot of time to strength work.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #343
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Right now my #1 goal is strength since that's what I'm lacking and what I know I need to do if I have any hope of wanting to compete.

I've looked into GSLP (was planning to follow that) but I don't know much about Westside (I'll do some more research on it since you recommend it)

My box membership is done in less then two months and there is a garage gym just down the road run by a professional powerlifter where I can actually devote a lot of time to strength work.
Who is the powerlifter? Sounds like you will be in good hands relative to your goal.

If strength is your #1 goal your conditioning work should be minimized and any that you do focused on GPP. You can build both strength and conditioning at the same time, but you cannot optimize your building of either while pursuing both. So, for now, focus on the strength and include some sled pulls or the like.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #344
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Who is the powerlifter? Sounds like you will be in good hands relative to your goal.

If strength is your #1 goal your conditioning work should be minimized and any that you do focused on GPP. You can build both strength and conditioning at the same time, but you cannot optimize your building of either while pursuing both. So, for now, focus on the strength and include some sled pulls or the like.
His name is Jerry Marentette, he's been involved in power lifting for over 35 years. So I'm feeling pretty confidant he can help me reach my goals. I recall reading here that conditioning doesn't take very long to get back if you do it right.

Part of me is kinda concerned about leaving my box since I know there will be pressure to stay. I have just under 2 months left on my contract at my box so I'm debating just canceling now and starting to train. Its a tough choice.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #345
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
His name is Jerry Marentette, he's been involved in power lifting for over 35 years. So I'm feeling pretty confidant he can help me reach my goals. I recall reading here that conditioning doesn't take very long to get back if you do it right.

Part of me is kinda concerned about leaving my box since I know there will be pressure to stay. I have just under 2 months left on my contract at my box so I'm debating just canceling now and starting to train. Its a tough choice.
If you are going to train with a powerlifter and you want to get strong, why not go talk to him and see what he suggests? While I would limit conditioning, I would completely neglect it. 1-2 INTELLIGENTLY programmed MetCons a week won't hurt.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #346
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
If you are going to train with a powerlifter and you want to get strong, why not go talk to him and see what he suggests? While I would limit conditioning, I would completely neglect it. 1-2 INTELLIGENTLY programmed MetCons a week won't hurt.
I mentioned my concerns about conditioning to him. One thing he suggested is to go in cycles (do a cycle of strength and then work on conditioning later)

The problem with going to a box is I have zero control over what metcons I do.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #347
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
I mentioned my concerns about conditioning to him. One thing he suggested is to go in cycles (do a cycle of strength and then work on conditioning later)

I'd just do strength work with the powerlifter and do conditioning on your own. You don't have to go crazy to get some good conditioning. Burpees, KB Swings, Double Unders, box jumps, sprints, ets.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #348
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:

Why don't you talk to your box owner(s)? Tell them you are considering leaving and why. Maybe they will work with you and allow you to train as you wish?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #349
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Why don't you talk to your box owner(s)? Tell them you are considering leaving and why. Maybe they will work with you and allow you to train as you wish?

I tried that before (asked if I could do my own thing) basically I can't due to the class might be using stuff, no way to monitor everyone etc. Which is all understandable. I will talk to them when I go in tomorrow and tell them that I'm considering leaving and giving my reasons why, just so they have a heads up.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #350
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
I tried that before (asked if I could do my own thing) basically I can't due to the class might be using stuff, no way to monitor everyone etc. Which is all understandable. I will talk to them when I go in tomorrow and tell them that I'm considering leaving and giving my reasons why, just so they have a heads up.
I think that is a great way to do it. Maybe they could even help you with a pure strength training program for a period of time? In any event if you do that you give them the chance to keep your business. Nothing fairer than that.