CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
John Heaney

Profile:
Rapid Regression

Over the past two and a half weeks I've noticed a rapid regression in strength and work output. Numbers below:

Squat: From 8 reps at 225# to 1 rep
OH Squat: From 15 reps at 165# to 5 at 135#
Bench Press: From 10 reps at 185# to 6 reps
Helen: From 8:55 to 11:34
Fran: From 4:54 to 6:55
Clean: Just feels weak
Snatch: Just feels weak

What appears to have set this off was doing Murph on Memorial Day. I did it straight through (not like Cindy) in 56:30. Starting the next day and lasting for another three days I experienced severe delayed onset muscle soreness. I couldn't extend my arms over my head, couldn't extend my arms at the elbow past 135 degrees and couldn't walk down stairs without shuffling down sideways and clutching to the railing. Needless to say i took four full days off from any working out.

Wondering if anyone has seen this happen or had it happen to them. If so any suggestions on moving forward?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Rapid Regression

I have no idea why anyone does Murph anymore. You just need to rest your body. Your strength will come back, but in the meantime, take it easy.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

What kind of programming is this? Why would you be trying to do 15OHS near BW in 2 weeks? Your rapid regression might be due to trying the same exact thing with inadequate rest time between.

Get on a real program. CFFB, pori, outlaw. Testing hellen and fran every week is a horrible measure of improvement.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
John Heaney

Profile:

To clarify, I didn't do all these lifts/wods two weeks apart. These are workouts my gym has scheduled over the past two weeks since memorial day. To quantify things I compared the lifts and "benchmark" WODs to my previous weights/times, some of which are two to three months old. In general though I'll just say my workouts have sucked.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

How many pounds of meat do you eat a day, how many calories do you consume, how many hours of sleep do you get a night, and how many gallons of milk do you drink a week?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Most affiliate programming is not geared for you to make continued strength gains.

Height and weight?

What sort of schedule do you follow?

My suggestion. Drink water, sleep, and don't do beatdown for no reason WODS.

Last edited by Daniel Wheeler : 06-13-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Sandon Viers

Profile:

I would take a week off, then take another week to slowly build up again. Use light weight that will just get blood flowing. Ice, eat, foam roll, eat, mobility work, contrast showers and get a massage and eat. It sounds like you destroyed yourself doing Murph and then decided to try for maxes and more benchmark workouts. Just because a workout is written on a board doesn't mean you have to do it. Use this as a lesson on how to listen to your body.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
John Heaney

Profile:

5'-10" 187 lbs

No idea on the calories; probably about 1.25 to 1.5 pounds of meat per day and half a gallon of milk per week. Sleep...6 to 7 hours during the week.

I usually strength train and run outside of CrossFit 4-5 days per week. Up until this past 2-3 weeks I've been happy with my progress (2 years). I'm more concerned that I've fallen off a cliff and would like to avoid doing so in the future.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

You crossfit and do running + strength 4-5 days a week?

Don't do Murph, or the Bench/pullup one (lynne?) Or most hero WODs ever again.

And if you were squatting 225 for 8 reps after 2 years of strength training then there are serious deficiencies with the program, your form, or both.

Reevaluate goals and tailor your training to fit it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Heaney View Post
...I usually strength train and run outside of CrossFit 4-5 days per week. Up until this past 2-3 weeks I've been happy with my progress (2 years). I'm more concerned that I've fallen off a cliff and would like to avoid doing so in the future.
So, you do Crossfit WoDs 4-5 times a week, and I assume you do strength training before each WoD, and if you are running 2-3 times a week in addition to that, thats 10-12 training sessions every week. Its probable that your volume is too high. Decide what your goal is, tailor your programming towards that and build up to the volume.

Heres a tip, concentrate on strength as much as possible, higher lift numbers will improve your metcon times/rounds, where improved metcon scores will do little to increase your strength.