CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Mike Booth

Profile:
Healthcare practitioners - What do you wear to protect hands?

I have only been doing crossfit on a regular basis for a few months now...

Do you wear gloves on your hands? I'm a massage therapist and I find my hands are taking a beating with callouses!

Suggestions?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Jessica Dell'Aquila

Profile:
Re: Healthcare practitioners - What do you wear to protect hands?

I am also in health care and have been crossfitting not too long. Do you mean your hands are taking a beating with ripping callouses? Or just unhappy with the callouses themselves?
Me, I'm fine with callouses as long as they don't rip. You can sand them down some with a pumice stone, nail file etc. Until you build some good ones, frequent ripping will occur and can be, eh, awkward in the health care environment. I tried NewGrips, which were nice and grippy and didn't bunch up, but they were too thick for my hands whilst pulling up...I have small hands. Maybe for a man they would be better. Bigger hands=larger amount of space with which to grip.
By now I've got some good callouses growing so I'm not ripping as much. Hard question for someone who makes his living as you do. Here's a nice comprehensive article regarding this issue. Good luck!

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...n_Handcare.pdf
Old 11-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Easiest solution is to not do workouts which you know will lead to bad calluses or tears. There's nothing smart about doing 100+ kipping pullups or KB swings if you know they'll tear you up.

Once the damage is done, you can use a pumice stone, Ped Egg, or callus shaver to smooth them up.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Mike Booth

Profile:

Thanks. That is a good article. I haven't had any callouses rip open yet! But I do feel my ability to assess tissue texture is being compromised, especially the day of completing a workout.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Jeff Macklin

Profile:

I'm also a massage therapist, and have been doing Crossfit for about a year. The two biggest things that help are 1) taking off my wedding ring when I workout and 2) sanding them down with a fine-grit file.

Since I do mostly NMT and AIS therapies with very little myofascial release/structural work, the callouses on my palms aren't really a big deal unless they are exceptionally bad that day.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Tom Reyes

Profile:

I'm a Flight RN/Medic, after doing Murph and ripping my hands open, I learned to wear lifting gloves anytime there are pullups, rope climbs, tire flips or large numbers of lifts. Not worth it for me to have tears. If anybody asks why I wear them (and some people do), I just explain that due to my work, sometimes my hands have to go inside people. That is explanation enough. The gloves stay in my car so I never forget them at home.