CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Trey Freeman

Profile:
College Life Crisis

So I am a junior at LSU majoring in business management. To be blunt, I am very good at my business classes, but I do not enjoy anything that has to do with business. I have always dreamed of working for the FBI, but my passion is some where else.

Nutrition...
I am always on the message board, the journal, and the web just searching about staying healthy. My classes can't keep my attention because of this website. I love working out, doing CrossFit, eating healthy, and spreading CF. I constantly preach it to my 100+ fraternity brothers (Have a small following now ). I want to help people be fit. I want to make a change in peoples lives. I just feel as if I cannot do that with a business degree.

Problem..
I am currently paying out of state tuition for LSU and am uncertain of the time span it would take me to graduate if I switch, but am fairly certain it would at AT LEAST a year to my stay.

Possible Solution...
Switch and just pay up OR graduate from LSU with a degree in business and then go back home and go to the university there, where I would pay almost nothing, and get a dietetic degree there.

I am young, I want to enjoy and LOVE my job. My dad loved his job for the 26 years he worked there and I want that.

Advice....... please
Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: College Life Crisis

there is no right or wrong here. your degree does not determine what industry you work in. you can work in just about any industry you want with a business degree. do you honestly think that marketing and business are not useful for owning your own personal training business or CF box? do you think that a company like rogue needs people with business knowledge? point is that a business degree will be more useful across a broad spectrum than a nutrition or exercise degree. just because you have a business degree doesn't mean you have to work on wall street
Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Matthew Carter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Freeman View Post
So I am a junior at LSU majoring in business management. To be blunt, I am very good at my business classes, but I do not enjoy anything that has to do with business. I have always dreamed of working for the FBI, but my passion is some where else.

Nutrition...
I am always on the message board, the journal, and the web just searching about staying healthy. My classes can't keep my attention because of this website. I love working out, doing CrossFit, eating healthy, and spreading CF. I constantly preach it to my 100+ fraternity brothers (Have a small following now ). I want to help people be fit. I want to make a change in peoples lives. I just feel as if I cannot do that with a business degree.

Problem..
I am currently paying out of state tuition for LSU and am uncertain of the time span it would take me to graduate if I switch, but am fairly certain it would at AT LEAST a year to my stay.

Possible Solution...
Switch and just pay up OR graduate from LSU with a degree in business and then go back home and go to the university there, where I would pay almost nothing, and get a dietetic degree there.

I am young, I want to enjoy and LOVE my job. My dad loved his job for the 26 years he worked there and I want that.

Advice....... please
Looks like you have 2 different options.... waste the years & money you have spent taking business classes in the school of business, that you wont need with a dietetics gegree. OR you can just finish it up and get the degree that you are working toward just to have one...

That is your call.

My wife has a degree in dietetic science. She absolutely hates her job. She loves nutrition and works at a very large hospital and is a Registered Dietician. She says always tells me about discussing what a patient can or cant eat, due to medication, health risk, or whatever the case may be... and they just disregard it and grab that 1000 calorie burger and fries.

Dont be fooled into thinking that Dietetics is a great degree to have. From what my wife and I have researched, it is a very limited career field.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If you want to run a business -- like a CF affiliate -- there's something to be said for actual business knowledge. Passion is great, but it's not enough to pay the bills.

The words on your degree aren't as limiting as you might think, either. Academia is all about credentials, but the real world is much more interested in results.

I'd suggest staying on the business track, but taking as many electives as you can toward the dietetics degree and seeking out an internship or similar position at a CF affiliate. Get an idea what you would be signing up for before you actually make an irreversible commitment.

Katherine
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Spencer James

Profile:

I'm not exactly an old sage voice of wisdom since I also just graduated a few years ago from undergrad, but I think one of the really consistent things I've realized after working for a few years with people from pretty diverse academic backgrounds is that your undergrad degree really should not determine what you do professionally. Undergrad should teach you how to think, how to study, and what your strengths are. There are very few undergrad degrees that confer a marketable skill set... future employers, grad programs, internships, etc. will be much more interested in the practical experiences and critical thinking skills that you bring to the table.

Also, before you switch your field of study or rethink you future, I would highly recommend that you try to shadow a dietician or someone who is working the job that you're interested in. Clinicians of all sorts are usually very willing to let students do this... you typically just have to get in touch with them, maybe sign a little paperwork, and then spent a few hours a day to get a sense for what the profession actually means.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Tony Sutton

Profile:

From an academic perspective, just finish out what you are doing. Talk to your advisors about how to integrate your interests and or how business applies to your interests.

I also support keeping an open mind to what your degree applies to. I went from a History BA to teaching Environmental Education to coaching Crossfit.

Also, if you ever want to attend graduate school, this would provide you with a greater opportunity to specialize in topics of your interests. If you attend the right institution, you can have it paid for as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I don't know why you are making this so hard.

LSU is #1 in the country and have the Mad Hatter as a coach. Why on earth would you want to leave now to save a little bit of cash?

In all seriousness, if you aren't 100% sure of what field you want to pursue, then I'd stick with the business degree. Probably a lot more versatile.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Freeman View Post

Advice....... please
In the end this is a decision that can only be made by you. I do, however, understand your dilemma. I was once in a similar situation.

I went to school to be a mechanical engineer. I, like you, was VERY good at the classwork, and actually enjoyed it (the classwork), but also like you, I knew though my co-op jobs that I HATED the actual job of being an engineer. Like you, I had loans, ect that made me relunctant to do something else, though at the time I had no idea what else I might do instead.

Long story short, I graduated an engineer, immediately got a high-paying job at a great company... and hated every minute of it. After 3 years of misery, I'd had enough. I quit and started over.

That was 4 years ago. I went back to school and got an associate degree in nursing, and I currently work as an ICU nurse. I love it. My quality of life, my general attitude, and definately my work ethic at my job are improved greatly. Bottom line for me is I have to like my job.

Katherine makes a good point though... dieticians, trainers, ect often make more money and are happiert if they start their own buisiness, and your coursework will probably make that process smoother and less mysterious, so it may well be worth it to finish your degree, while pursuing certification in the field(s) you wish to work.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Natalie L. Cox

Profile:

I'd say finish what you started, you never know how it might benefit you in the future. I started doing nutritional consulting in college while I was getting a marketing degree and I loved it so much I never stopped. I went ahead and got my degree in marketing so I could put it on a resume, and I am glad I did. I learned plenty, and it has helped me in my career, even though it might seem unrelated.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

Definitely get that business degree. I wish I had that.

I got mine in English. To this day I don't know why I thought liberal arts was so translatable.

If you want some type of certification in nutrition (whether for the sake of legitimizing your nutritional counseling or just to have the tools to help people even more effectively), I would look at the Nutritional Therapy association. Their program changed my life, and now I work in the enlightened (as in, Paleo/Primal/Weston A. Price) nutrition field. I have found NO professional resistance due to the fact that I don't have a "dietetics" degree in our niche. One day I may go back for another degree, but it's hard to think about spending all that money to learn things I fundamentally disagree with, especially since I've been able to carve my own way successfully.

To be honest, my biggest difficulty has been...setting up my own business.

I'm a CrossFit-certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and I'm proud of it!

Oh, and if you do check out the NTA...Tell them I sent you.