CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #31
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 without bench

I would highly recommend listening to Eric's suggestions. SS is a dedicated strength program meant to work on strength only. If you try to mess with it, you'll not advance and just burn out. SS is not meant for 10 days and you won't know where you are going since it should take 4-6 weeks to get near your old maxes. So if you are starting it right, the weights will be relatively light and you should be able to get through 10 days. I might be a month in where you'll be wondering why you can't do 5 reps on an old 5RM.

It's not like you are mini-golfing on your sports days, you are playing 2 pretty demanding sports. 5/3/1 and GSLP blend strength and conditioning. The cost is slower progress, but you still make progress. If you weren't committed to your sport you could work with SS. But, if you enjoy your sports, pick a program that has a better chance.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #32
Bradley Groom

Profile:

OK I'm going to run 5/3/1.
One final question I've read the book but I'm still not sure, if I'm doing three core lifts a week does the cycle last for 4 weeks or does it run for 5 weeks?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #33
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Normally it is 4 workouts a week for 4 weeks = 16 workouts

So if you do 3 a week, 16/3= 5 with one workout or 5 weeks and 1 more day.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #34
Nolan Womack

Profile:

What are your lifts at? 5/3/1 is a great program, but honestly it's more for intermediates, you'll make way better gains quickly from SS if you're a beginner and can still progress workout to workout, 5/3/1 would be better if you're at the point of making progress week to week, or month to month. However, because of your situation and all the sports you're doing, Rippetoe or Starr said that you should drop down to just 2 strength training sessions a week, but once you've built up to the volume, or, once you are doing less sports, then go back to the 3 sessions per week model.