CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 without bench

Just think of the bench press as a really heavy weighted push up. Then it will be cooler
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Bradley Groom

Profile:

Ok I'm starting to get the hint that maybe the bench is worth keeping in

Considering though I only have access to my affiliates open gym 3 times a week would this schedule work?

Mon: Squat + bench

Wed: OHP

Fri: Deadlift

Plus 1 or 2 metcons a week to maintain conditioning.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
Bradley Groom

Profile:

That would mean I was progressing in a 4 week cycle, or is it better to leave it as three lifts a week and progress in a 6 and a half week cycle? Sorry to ask all these questions I just want to make sure I do this right.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Are you doing just the main lift when you 5/3/1 or are you doing assistance work too?

If you were just doing the main lift per session, you could probably double up one day as you suggest. But if you were planning on doing assistance work, I would stick with Wendler's plan and keep it at 3 lifts a week. He mentions this is more then adequete in one of his books and might even be better for some.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Bradley Groom

Profile:

This would be just the main lift and then maybe a metcon, I'm 16 though so recovery usually isn't an issue.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Oh to be 16 again and have access to this knowlge......

Why 5/3/1?

If you have done your major growing, close to your parents height or what the doctors predict for you, then you can probably benefit from a more aggressive form of linear progression. Starting Strength, 70's Big or Grey Skull LP.

If you are not close to you expected height then 5/3/1 is probably good way to go.

Having used all 4 at some point in time 5/3/1 is the slow and steady approach. Noting wrong with it but at 16 you can probably make faster gains on other programs. You can also probably do two or three met cons a week and recover. Just make sure your eating clean and enough as well as getting good sleep. Avoid low rep heavy lifting in met-cons. If your in a class just drop the weight and up the reps not to interfere with the strength training too much.

What ever you do I would have an A & B day and rotate.

Week 1
A B A

Week 2
B A B

Usually power cleans and dead lifting are organized so that you only deadlift heavy once a week. You could also work in Olympic lifting on the dead lift days to prevent dead lifting more then once a week.

Research these option some more on this forum. Remember most of CrossFitters are between 20 and 50 and get started because they want to lose weight and get in shape. You don't fit this groups so what is best for you might be a little different.

And what ever you choose: BENCH!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
Why not push press instead of bench? A stronger push press will give you decent bench press strength without even benching!!!
One of the main lifts in 5 3 1 is the strict Mil Press. Subbing Push Press for bench is pretty much duplicating this, isn't it?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
Simon Edmundson

Profile:

Like with most main lift programs like Wendler, SS etc etc they are great at outlining constant progression for the main lifts. However, the bread and butter (or meat and veg if paleo) of programming is identifying weaknesses in your lifting and using accessory exercises to address these weaknesses. Wendler for 6 months gave me great progress. Wendler for the next 6 months was difficult. Identified my weaknesses and hit those hard for 3 months. Wendler for the following months I made great great great gains easily, hitting pr's 10-15kg over the predicted 1RM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Brett Dartt

Profile:

if you look on the next page or two in the 5/3/1 thread i posted a link that has a full body wendler that he redesigned while rehabbing. its three days a week and you squat all three. but two of the days you squat your warmup weights for 5-15 reps. then on friday you squat and press 5/3/1 style
Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
Brett Dartt

Profile:

here it is

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316