CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Back Squat, Front Squat, Push Press, Deadlift form critique help please?

So I have taken into account a lot of the comments that I have received in previous videos, and have tried to apply them here:

(All links are WFS)
Deadlift (150/165) (the sets are from two seperate days): I feel as though the bar may be coming away from my shins on the initial pull. As well, for the second workset (165 i think it was), I don't think my lumbar could tighten up for those 5 reps, I think I made to much of a jump from the week before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7grBCF1sE0

Back Squat (135): I think I'm having issues with depth, mainly because I am afraid of hitting the pins, but I have tested it out, and know that I can go below parallel with the low bar position, so I just have to get my body used to it. I didn't have any hip drive in my last video, and I feel as though I fixed it, I'll let you guys be the judge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGRYCO32npk

Front Squat (115): Fixed my depth from a couple months ago (yea, I really havent front squatted in that long). I lost my balance on a couple reps, and idea as to why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HhdhetE5Q

Push Press (100): Felt okay, but I dont think my abs were tight at the lockout of any reps. Also, I feel unstable when bringing the bar back down, how do I fix this? Finally, I feel as though I was press the bar backwards in a couple sets, which is why I lost my balance. Thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7tn4I140ik

P.S. Ignore the f**gots in my weight room. They think they're funny. Sucks to be them.

On a lighter note, I finally set my rack up in the garage, and got MOST of my plates

Any help on any movement critiques would be appreciated.

- Frankel.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Back Squat, Front Squat, Push Press, Deadlift form critique help please?

I just got a chance to look at the squats. I think you made a good assessment on your own. Get that added depth, a lot of reps were good but some were just high. On the 3rd set, some of them started to have that good monring feel (meaning hips rising first then head and shoulders), try to keep them in sink. Your stance is on the edge of being wide, but if you feel stable and get work from posterior and anterior chains, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Most importantly, way to focus with the ding dongs in your gym. Seemed the more they goofed off the more you kicked butt.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Steve Bray

Profile:

do you really need chalk for 150 lbs? but on the 165 lbs it looked like your knees are opening up before your hips making you do a goodmorning style ending.

your other lifts are looking good.

oh also i see you chose some f the songs i suggested! (unless you had them before i suggested them haha)
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
do you really need chalk for 150 lbs? but on the 165 lbs it looked like your knees are opening up before your hips making you do a goodmorning style ending.

your other lifts are looking good.

oh also i see you chose some f the songs i suggested! (unless you had them before i suggested them haha)
The chalk helps my mental prep, and I grind my own chalk, so I have an abundance of it, so why not use it
So for the dead, should I have started with my hips higher? or just open the hips first?

And yep, your music choices If you've got any other good suggestions, PM me or something, and maybe you'll end up helping me make a PR haha
Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Your 'push-press' is really a push jerk.
When you dip, maintain the shelf with your shoulders so the bar doesn't slide down.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I'm by no means an expert but here's my perception:

Back squat - looked fine
Front squat - force elbows up, triceps should be parallel with floor.
Deadlift - At the bottom, try to think about raising your shoulders and hips up at the same rate.
Push press - I think you need to not dip as deep, keep trunk more stable.

I'm curious why do you do PP instead of standard press?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
I'm by no means an expert but here's my perception:

Back squat - looked fine
Front squat - force elbows up, triceps should be parallel with floor.
Deadlift - At the bottom, try to think about raising your shoulders and hips up at the same rate.
Push press - I think you need to not dip as deep, keep trunk more stable.

I'm curious why do you do PP instead of standard press?
I wanted to do something overhead last night, and right now, all Ive got are
2x35
4x10
4x5

since I cant do 110 for 3 reps (40# bar), I just threw all the 5's and 10's on the bar and push pressed, as I cant overhead press 100 for 3 yet.

I guess I could have OHP'd, but I would have preferred 85, and cant put that weight on the bar without 2.5's