CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Richard Joy

Profile:
Re: Overall thoughts on Open wods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
The Open was sold as being an inclusive comp where the average crossfitter could compare against everyone else in the world. There were a lot of people for whom the 165# C+J was a PR. Some made it and those who didn't couldn't even enter scores after that. My point is that they could have put that WOD last and it wouldn't have made a difference to the top athletes whereas it ruined the fun for a lot of people.
MY point is that I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone complaining about the C&J WOD. Let's say I can't do a single double under. I'm out from WOD #1. Oh well. Maybe I can't do a single deadlift at 155#. I'm out on WOD #2. Let me tell you, my weaknesses have come up over and over again in the Open, so I know it's frustrating, but you do the best you can.

I'm also going to say this for the record - I do not care if 165lbs is more than your body weight. Boo hoo. If that's the case, then I move nearly twice as much weight as you do in every single gymnastics exercise, so as far as I'm concerned, you've had it really easy for this whole competition. Don't come crying to me when the tables are turned.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Joy View Post
MY point is that I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone complaining about the C&J WOD. Let's say I can't do a single double under. I'm out from WOD #1. Oh well. Maybe I can't do a single deadlift at 155#. I'm out on WOD #2. Let me tell you, my weaknesses have come up over and over again in the Open, so I know it's frustrating, but you do the best you can.

I'm also going to say this for the record - I do not care if 165lbs is more than your body weight. Boo hoo. If that's the case, then I move nearly twice as much weight as you do in every single gymnastics exercise, so as far as I'm concerned, you've had it really easy for this whole competition. Don't come crying to me when the tables are turned.
Again, you're missing my point. I don't care that they have WODs that eliminate people. I just think that those WODs should come near the end instead of in the middle. Put the thruster+ C2B 3rd, the OHS 4th, the 145# clean 5th, the 165# C&J 6th.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
I don't care that they have WODs that eliminate people. I just think that those WODs should come near the end instead of in the middle.
Did the double under WOD not eliminate people?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
My point is that they could have put that WOD last and it wouldn't have made a difference to the top athletes whereas it ruined the fun for a lot of people.
Ef that. "ruined the fun"? Is this a competition or not, your view makes it seem like even more of a joke than it has already proven to be. People have no business entering, wasting judging time and technical resources, if they aren't even remotely in the running. Its embarrassing seeing people who need to go back to foundations classes trying to compete for a spot as "the fittest man/woman on earth".
Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
Richard Joy

Profile:

Quote:
Again, you're missing my point. I don't care that they have WODs that eliminate people. I just think that those WODs should come near the end instead of in the middle. Put the thruster+ C2B 3rd, the OHS 4th, the 145# clean 5th, the 165# C&J 6th.
For the sake of argument, let's say that not eliminating people is something that HQ should be concerned about. Why is WOD #1 less likely to eliminate anyone than WOD #3? I say there's no reason to believe that there isn't some number of people who could struggle through that workout and never land a single double under. Maybe it should have been singles, or maybe they should have changed it so that the double unders came second, so that if you couldn't do them, you could at least get half a round (of course, what if you can't get 75# overhead?)

I guess you and I disagree on this point, but a 165# squat clean (or power-clean-to-front-squat) is not an advanced movement. If someone was eliminated because they couldn't even get a single one, then that's too bad. Frankly, HQ has bent over backward to ensure that no one would be required to demonstrate even an intermediate level of strength to stay in this competition, and it's my opinion that the programming suffered because of it.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Ef that. "ruined the fun"? Is this a competition or not, your view makes it seem like even more of a joke than it has already proven to be. People have no business entering, wasting judging time and technical resources, if they aren't even remotely in the running. Its embarrassing seeing people who need to go back to foundations classes trying to compete for a spot as "the fittest man/woman on earth".
Well said Rebecca. There is a difference between a competition, which the open is supposed to be, and possibly the mainsite WOD which is more of a programming/compare/fun thing.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I agree, all the WOD's were really well done. My only point of contention comes with the DL/pushup/BJ one. That was really just cause the DL was too light, the pushup standards weren't clearly explained until after it had closed, and the high rep box jumps eliminated a lot of people. And by eliminated I don't mean they couldn't do them, I mean I heard a ridiculous amount of stories about torn tendons. High rep box jumps don't really test anything except the breaking point of your achilles and that usually doesn't have to do with how fit you are but rather how much beating you've done on your calves in the last few weeks. I had some pretty serious calf soreness for a good 2 weeks after that workout and I ended up taking a full week off between that one and 11.3 which was actually my favourite.

In contention for second favourite was the Burpee/OHS/MU one.

I was sad to not see ring dips or HSPU though. And due to the video format it's too bad running wasn't possible. Running always separates everyone. Plus I tend to do better in workouts with running.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

So why was Kyle Maynard even allowed in the Georgia Sectional and featured on the 2010 Games site? Is he an embarrassment too?
kyle-maynard-georgia-sectional (WFS)

Glassman said that they want people who "don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell" to play. Sounds like they wanted everyone to give it a shot and to have fun competing against people of similar ability. I've had fun tracking my placing against friends at other boxes. Something that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise because we follow different programming.

My impression is that the Open is to be somewhat inclusive and the Regionals are to find the fittest. The fittest should be able to be in the top 60 no matter what the workouts are even if it is light weight biased. Certainly the top 2 or 3 athletes will be in there.

I competed in the Taranis Winter Challenge which had a similar goal of being inclusive. They put out a list of minimum requirements that could be expected in the WODs. Maybe HQ should do something similar to weed out the embarrassments.

Maybe the whole inclusive thing is a mistake and they need to start streaming the Open BrandX style. All of this because I thought they should change the order of the WODs. Of course it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but if the goal is to be inclusive then I think that this would be a very slight improvement.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Chris Walls

Profile:

Where do you draw the line to be inclusive? Chest to bar pullups would knock people out. Overhead squats period would knock out people with super tight shoulders. Double unders already mentioned...

There HAS to be something even remotely difficult, it's a contest. And anything remotely difficult stands a chance of not being possible for someone.

If you run into something you can't do you now just found a big hole in your fitness to fix.

Last edited by Chris Walls : 04-20-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Did you miss this post?

The order of the WODs doesn't matter. Ramp it up in order of least likely to knock people out to most. That is all.