CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Starting Strength before and after pics?

I hear so many people talking about the program, but I am quite interested to see how it changes your body. Yes, I realise you get super-big, but people say its easily do-able to become fast after you get super-big, so I would have to assume that you do not get super-fat as well.

Any before and after pics of anyone who has done starting strength would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength before and after pics?

subscribed, good topic...
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

SS is not a aesthetic program so I doubt you will find a lot of people with before and after pictures. There are a lot of people with before and after lift numbers which demonstrate the proven ability of the program as well as posted before and after body weights.

I told you in your other thread pertaining to SS its not about the looks or the weight you put on its about increasing the numbers you put up.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gritton View Post
SS is not a aesthetic program so I doubt you will find a lot of people with before and after pictures. There are a lot of people with before and after lift numbers which demonstrate the proven ability of the program as well as posted before and after body weights.

I told you in your other thread pertaining to SS its not about the looks or the weight you put on its about increasing the numbers you put up.
This is true, although I am very interested to see how my body will change WHEN (not if, as in I am going to do it, its just a matter of when) I do it
Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

My before and after pictures from 7 weeks of GOMAD SS are linked in my post about my experience:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...mad#post538338 (WFS, except maybe for the link to a shirtless me).
Too bad the pictures don't really show my legs. I added 2 inches in circumference to each thigh.

As you can see, I added fat but never got fat. I had a great experience with SS.

That being said, though, your questioning of asthetics makes me wonder if this is the program for you. In SS your priority is getting strong. If you are questioning whether or not that would be your one and only priority during the programs then you probably don't have the drive to do what you need to do for the program.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Forrest MacDonald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
This is true, although I am very interested to see how my body will change WHEN (not if, as in I am going to do it, its just a matter of when) I do it
Don't have any pics, but I did SS for 6 weeks and gained around 10 lbs, maybe a third of which was fat. The most visible differences were in my thighs and shoulders. I was eating about 3500 cal/day, but wasn't that strict (regrettably).

I would expect to just look... bigger. A lot of it depends on your diet.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
My before and after pictures from 7 weeks of GOMAD SS are linked in my post about my experience:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...mad#post538338 (WFS, except maybe for the link to a shirtless me).
Too bad the pictures don't really show my legs. I added 2 inches in circumference to each thigh.

As you can see, I added fat but never got fat. I had a great experience with SS.

That being said, though, your questioning of asthetics makes me wonder if this is the program for you. In SS your priority is getting strong. If you are questioning whether or not that would be your one and only priority during the programs then you probably don't have the drive to do what you need to do for the program.
I think thats my biggest issue. I need to get it out of my head that I can get super strong, gain some pounds, and then regain looks later i guess. Even though I would assume that anyone here is going to disprove of this question, will I lose my abs if I do this? Im maybe looking at doing it over the summer, ill have more time during the day and such.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Are visible abs an important part of your goals or whatever sport you play? Doubtful, unless you're looking to do competitive bodybuilding, because abs on their own rarely contribute to doing anything stronger or faster. Visible abs are just as likely to be a result of someone being overly skinny/weak as opposed to them having particularly strong ab muscles. How many high school kids do you know of who are 6' tall and 160lbs yet think they have "teh shredded abzzz" when really they're just sickly-skinny?

If your many worry is losing your abs, SS is not the program for you because you'll sabotage your progress by obsessing over your caloric intake and trying to stay lean.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
will I lose my abs if I do this?
Oh man, I can't wait for the responses to this one...that's like lighting a molotov cocktail of "abz for teh ladiez" hate from the SS purists.

And no, you won't lose your abs from doing SS. You'll lose your abs from the amount of calories you need to consume in order to properly recover from your SS workouts and continue making linear gains without quickly hitting a plateau.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Liu View Post
Oh man, I can't wait for the responses to this one...that's like lighting a molotov cocktail of "abz for teh ladiez" hate from the SS purists.

And no, you won't lose your abs from doing SS. You'll lose your abs from the amount of calories you need to consume in order to properly recover from your SS workouts and continue making linear gains without quickly hitting a plateau.
Okay, that makes sense. and yea, Im expecting a lot of hate from that question, but lets hope that as I get older I mature and stop caring what others think of my body. Say I do SS then, ive got a couple more questions.

1. Ill be starting in the summer, and i know at one point ill be going away to montreal and staying at a relatives house for a good week or so. Should I just do metcons there?
2. Say I do SS for the whole summer, and resume crossfitting when school starts in september. If im doing mostly metcons, or if i begin to mix metcons and heavy days (say 2 a week), will i lose all of my gains?
3. Again, sorry for this, but If i do SS, and then begin crossfitting again when I finish, will my abs become visible again?
4. What happens if I do not eat enough?
5. What do I say to parents who think I am lifting too much, as well as think that I am big enough as it is, and will get "scared" if i begin a program like this, and an osteopathic doctor (my uncle) who is telling me to purchase a belt because he is afraid my back will lose its form
6. Finally, in the summer, i will be off season for trampolinning. Besides biking, I will not be doing much cardio. I have hypertriglycedmia (high cholesterol), and it is genetic. What should I do to ensure it stays down? I dont have enough healthy food in my house to only eat that, and my rents wont NOT buy junk food because they are under the presumption that they cant force my 10 year old bro to eat clean as possible.
7. Okay i lied, one more. How do I tell fi i am eating enough?

I understand that visibility is not a matter of strength, and that my abs are gonig to get MUCH stronger upon doing this, but i feel kind of weak without them.

Also, I love food too much to not eat enough xD