CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: "squats and milk"

Some food for thought.

I follow CFFB and we did a cycle of 20 rep squats. I weigh in at a lees than intimidating buck sixty five and finished up with either 235 or 245 can't remember. You use a % of your 1RM to start, I remember Jesus being in there somewhere. Did the same thing with a 10 rep scheme as well. John switches things up quite a bit and doesn't seem to be afraid to change things up from time to time to generate a training stimulus. Right now I am doing Collegiate with lots or % DE work. I am always praising the program....it works for my goals, I am getting stronger and faster and feel I could Rx pretty much every main page WOD. Not likely at "Spealler" speed, but I think better than average after almost a full year of CFFB, 9 months on amateur and now moved up a level likely for 2+ years or more while I continue to get stronger and more powerful.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but agreed you need a squat rack.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
Adam McCarthy

Profile:

I just tried the program with the back squats, I managed to squat 60kg. I used chairs as a squat rack, obviously not the safest idea and I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked, and was a sturdy platform.

I did the full 20 reps, and it was brilliant! I'm going to keep adding weight on each workout.

After the 20 reps I did as many Towel pullups as I could, dips as I could (i've never done dips before, and damn they are good!) then as many leg raises. I took a minutes rest between each exercise and did 3 sets.

Do you think doing this program twice a week and a 1 day strength and conditioning circuit would work well?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam McCarthy View Post
I just tried the program with the back squats, I managed to squat 60kg. I used chairs as a squat rack, obviously not the safest idea and I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked, and was a sturdy platform.

I did the full 20 reps, and it was brilliant! I'm going to keep adding weight on each workout.

After the 20 reps I did as many Towel pullups as I could, dips as I could (i've never done dips before, and damn they are good!) then as many leg raises. I took a minutes rest between each exercise and did 3 sets.

Do you think doing this program twice a week and a 1 day strength and conditioning circuit would work well?
If you focus on going up and working the squats hard, I think it would be an effective program. But, you need a safe way to squat, not to sure on the chair setup. 20-reps squats are the king of all metcons with a heavy strenght component.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
Adam McCarthy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
If you focus on going up and working the squats hard, I think it would be an effective program. But, you need a safe way to squat, not to sure on the chair setup. 20-reps squats are the king of all metcons with a heavy strenght component.
I do agree its unsafe, before I go any heavier I'd definitely need a squat rack.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #25
David Meverden

Profile:

It's amazing what one can build out of 2x4's with a saw, an electric drill, and a screwdriver (what do they call standard pine lumber in Britain? Well, our 2x4's don't measure 2 inches by 4 inches, so maybe you guys call them 2x4's even though they are metric). I can totally envision a simple, non-adjustable, squat rack build just out of those materials for cheap. And it could fit in a living room or something (though visitors would think you were weird. In fact, it's so simple I could design it in Google Sketchup in no time! 3, 2, 1 GO!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #26
David Meverden

Profile:

And . . . TIME!

OK, so half an hour. Not bad, I think.

Picture of the design is below. Now, you may not want to use a squat stand designed for time, but I guarantee this thing would be sturdy as all heck, and cost probably 60 or 70 bucks (around here), could be constructed with a absolute minimum of tools (handsaw, drill, screw driver, tape measure) and it has safety rails allowing you to go as heavy as you want.

With a little more time I could probably design something more elegant, or smaller, or cheaper (or all 3). Maybe I'll ponder that later. Right now I need to go work on building a reverse hyper machine! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quick squat rack.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	7640  
Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #27
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Nice rack design.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #28
Pearse Shields

Profile:

David, you are my hero.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #29
Adam McCarthy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
And . . . TIME!

OK, so half an hour. Not bad, I think.

Picture of the design is below. Now, you may not want to use a squat stand designed for time, but I guarantee this thing would be sturdy as all heck, and cost probably 60 or 70 bucks (around here), could be constructed with a absolute minimum of tools (handsaw, drill, screw driver, tape measure) and it has safety rails allowing you to go as heavy as you want.

With a little more time I could probably design something more elegant, or smaller, or cheaper (or all 3). Maybe I'll ponder that later. Right now I need to go work on building a reverse hyper machine! Good luck!
Haha that is brilliant! It looks a little too big for the space I have, but its a brilliant concept. Its a shame i have no DIY skills at all! Maybe its about time I manned up and got some!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
Erich Anderson

Profile:

quick question, it sounds like the 20 rep squats are a good way to put on mass as well as strength. Usually MMA competitors want to keep weight down? Not judging just curious what your motivations are for doing 20 rep vs something that won't put on mass as quickly