CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
James Yates

Profile:
Re: "squats and milk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam McCarthy View Post
I was poking about on the Sherdog forum and came across the strength workout "squats and milk" http://www.ironworkout.com/20_rep_squat.htm .. And I was wondering.. do you think This kind of program could be used with a exercise like a Clean and Press or a Thruster, a dynamic row even? Then Following it with a circuit/wod like the squats and milk workout does.
20 rep clean and press will turn into 20 sets of 1 rep at high weights or it will just be metcon-y at lower weights. The press will severely limit your loads. Same with thrusters. The front squat may work, but I still think you will hit the wall much sooner. If you've never done a 20 rep set, you just won't understand.

A big part of the stimulus is said to come from whole body/spinal loading. With the squats, you have that static load even while "resting" between reps. With the clean, you unload your body between every rep.

As a LAST RESORT, I would say 20 rep touch-and-go DLs are the next best thing to back squats, but even there you will run into grip strength as a limiting factor (and your form would have to be top-notch!).

You really should just get a squat rack if you want to pursue this.

Personally, for work after a heavy 20 rep set, let your body be the guide. Your CNS will be heavily taxed and you will need a few minutes to get back to anything resembling "normal". When you say circuit/wod... that means different things to different people. I wouldn't recommend any AMRAP, RFT, chipper, or any WOD with a name.... maybe a few sets of presses or a few easy circuits of push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I'd love to do 20 rep squats but I'd have to wait until after finish 70's Big S&C. Right now I don't think I can even do 185 for 20 reps.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
Ian Nigh

Profile:

The squats and milk program is specific in stating that you should START with HEAVY squats, AT LEAST 1.5 times your bodyweight. This is usually more than most average athletes can clean and press. Athletes that can clean and press this much, will be able to squat alot more anyway, so yes, you need a squat rack to do this program.

If you can't squat 1.5 times your bodyweight, you are probably not ready for this program and should stick to SS or CFFB or some other linear progression to get your squat where it needs to be to reap the benefits of a set of 20 rep HEAVY squats.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I did it this summer and gained 30lbs of muscle. It's a very effective program, but it requires more testicular fortitude than the average person can handle. I suggest getting the book Super Squats if you want to check out the particulars of the program.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yeah I'd probably just screw my back up on it.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I've done a few sets of 20 squats.

Sweet baby Jesus, I have never been so afraid of a single set of any exercise.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
Erich Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post

I can't wait to get done with SS to try some 20-rep!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post

i did it once with 185. i actually made a thread about when i did it a few months ago. it was a humbling experience indeed.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #19
Adam McCarthy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Yates View Post
20 rep clean and press will turn into 20 sets of 1 rep at high weights or it will just be metcon-y at lower weights. The press will severely limit your loads. Same with thrusters. The front squat may work, but I still think you will hit the wall much sooner. If you've never done a 20 rep set, you just won't understand.

A big part of the stimulus is said to come from whole body/spinal loading. With the squats, you have that static load even while "resting" between reps. With the clean, you unload your body between every rep.

As a LAST RESORT, I would say 20 rep touch-and-go DLs are the next best thing to back squats, but even there you will run into grip strength as a limiting factor (and your form would have to be top-notch!).

You really should just get a squat rack if you want to pursue this.

Personally, for work after a heavy 20 rep set, let your body be the guide. Your CNS will be heavily taxed and you will need a few minutes to get back to anything resembling "normal". When you say circuit/wod... that means different things to different people. I wouldn't recommend any AMRAP, RFT, chipper, or any WOD with a name.... maybe a few sets of presses or a few easy circuits of push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups.
Yeah I think the press would be the hardest part, but I was hoping that since its built up at 5lb a workout it would be a gradual thing. And i don't really want it to become a metcon. I may try it with the DL or front squat today, it is going to be rough thought on the DL I agree! I'll have to invest in that squat rack. Thanks anyway
Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
The squats and milk program is specific in stating that you should START with HEAVY squats, AT LEAST 1.5 times your bodyweight.
I remember that a 1rm of 1.5 BW or more was a good yardstick to judge whether you are ready for the program. But the actual starting weight of the program should be something you would "normally" do for 10 reps.