CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:
has an affiliate ever been revoked for sucking?

I was wondering if there have ever been any affiliates that HQ has removed their association with or given a cease and desist because of blatant disregard for form, safety, methodologies, or continuing education?

just wondering.

Also, is there a place on the main site where we can see each affiliate's qualifications and accreditations ?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: has an affiliate ever been revoked for sucking?

I don't believe this would fit with Coach's mindset that GENPOP will reward the good coaches and naturally weed out the bad.

If that is true than there is no need for HQ to police affiliates...plus that would be such a cumbersome task I'm not sure it's that realistic. First you'd need to establish a feedback system, then you'd need to have an investigator staff who could take time to fly out to an affiliate, watch them for a specified amount of time, make a decision on some poor chaps livelihood and then cut them off. Tall order, and I'm leaving out a lot of other things to consider. Objectivity, consistency...etc.

If an affiliate doesn't list their credentials I'm not sure how mainsite could. What credentials are you looking for?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

GENPOP isn't smart enough to realize bad form is bad.

GENPOP doesn't sit on the internet looking up the lifts and how to improve them, crossfitters do.

GENPOP pays the bills for the most part, and when GENPOP sees basic results because GENPOP was sedentary before, crappy affiliate prospers.

crappy affiliate lies about numbers, speeds, times completed, feats of strength and everything else.

like, at what point do you have to intervene?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Beau Bryant

Profile:

I'll give you mine but honestly I'm not sure if it means anything.

CSCS
Starting Strength Coach (new cert), or if that is blocked Rip's SS cert may make it past the filter
USAW LeveL I
A host of CF certs
A few more outside of CF
A bunch of athletes trained
and a few things I've forgotten

These are listed in no particular order especially since the SS Coaching Cert was probably the most educational out of all of them followed by athletes trained coming in a close second.

But this means nothing until you come train with me, let me program, and see if I can help you. Without that it's just writing.

If you are compiling some type of coaches qualification data base for HQ I give you my permission to list mine since I do not list it on my website, mostly because I think of it as less than important.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
I was wondering if there have ever been any affiliates that HQ has removed their association with or given a cease and desist because of blatant disregard for form, safety, methodologies, or continuing education?

just wondering.

Also, is there a place on the main site where we can see each affiliate's qualifications and accreditations ?
I'd be happy to give you that of our trainers, and myself.

I'm wondering why you'd want to know for anyone more than the one you train at, or may visit?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

the idea of finding reputable boxes to train at while out of town is one thing, yes. Another isbeing able to recommend out of state friends to specific affiliates.

I would rather give my money to affiliates who are continually bringing additional info, classes, seminars, and certifications to their facility as opposed to those who did a L1 cert 4 years ago and haven't done anything since.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
crappy affiliate lies about numbers, speeds, times completed, feats of strength and everything else.

like, at what point do you have to intervene?
When they fail to pay their affiliation fee, or possibly when a lawsuit drags in CFHQ. Or when the affiliate owner criticizes CFHQ too loudly or publicly.

Yes, I'm being cynical, but no, there does not appear to be any significant quality control, either before or after affiliation. There *is* a requirement for coaches to recertify every few years, but that's new, so there hasn't been time for anyone to get de-affiliated for failing to do it.

Katherine

Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Valid reason, not that you needed my approval

Most affiliate sites that I've seen have the trainers bio, or at least they should.

It would be nice to have, but like stated earlier, it's most likely cost prohibitive.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
the idea of finding reputable boxes to train at while out of town is one thing, yes. Another isbeing able to recommend out of state friends to specific affiliates.

I would rather give my money to affiliates who are continually bringing additional info, classes, seminars, and certifications to their facility as opposed to those who did a L1 cert 4 years ago and haven't done anything since.
Call them and ask them. What kind of continuing education do you do? Have you hosted any certifications for your members? Have you placed any athletes in the Crossfit Games or other competitions? Questions like these are independently verifiable, so you can catch them lying, but you can tell a lot by how they answer the question.

Once you find a trainer you trust, ask them for recommendations. "I'm going to/I have a friend in {City}, what's a good box there?" Then call that box and ask them the above questions.

Even McDonald's has good and bad franchises. It's just not practical for any central office to monitor every single affiliate worldwide. It's your money and your body: do your own research.

Katherine

Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Wouldn't any attempt to revoke affiliation bring a franchise lawsuit or something?

I have wondered what happens if an affiliate doesn't pay but keeps the Crossfit name. Is Crossfit trademarked?