CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Josh Black

Profile:
Mass Gain

I need help gaining quality muscle. I am 6'0.5 164 pounds. I have a 19:30 5k. I crossfit total yesterday 905. I believe for me to become elite I need to weight around 185. What is the best way for me to get there and keep my conditioning and leaness?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Mass Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Black View Post
I need help gaining quality muscle. I am 6'0.5 164 pounds. I have a 19:30 5k. I crossfit total yesterday 905. I believe for me to become elite I need to weight around 185. What is the best way for me to get there and keep my conditioning and leaness?
Eat more. If I were you I would drink a gallon of milk a day.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Either pick a sole strength program: SS, Strong lifts 5x5, Wendler 531, etc; or go with a strength-oriented program that also has some conditioning: CFWF, CFFB, or CFSB. Eat more quality food while doing one of these and you will gain mass. You will not be able to maintain the same level of leanness because you will gain some fat, it is impossible to gain just muscle. But fat is much easier to lose than it is to build muscle, so don't worry if you get a little soft. Same thing with conditioning, it's easy come easy go. Strength is much harder to build, but easier to maintain.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

delete
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
James Rios

Profile:

like everyone else said eat more.
id use zone principles so that if you start getting heavier than you want you can adjust your intakes levels with a high degree of accuracy.
worked for me.
im also 6ft. started the year @ 170 am now currently between 183. for the day i eat

23 blocks protein
16 blocks carb (currently playing with this, it used to be @ 21)
80 blocks fat

handy thing about using zone blocks like this is you can tinker with it. i started skool eating 20 20 60 and was walking so much i lost 5 pounds of muscle because i wasnt getting enough calories to maintain this muscle. so i upped the protein 3 blocks at the end of the day, and made sure i was getting 4x fat. however my abs still arent as defined as i want them to be so as an experiment im trying the taking out 4 blocks of carbs total. if this doesnt work and my performance suffers i can just turn them right back up and go back to where i was.

REALLY nice total BTW at that BW
Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Joseph E. Morris

Profile:

Also, if you're lactose intolerant and the pills don't help, you could try a gallon of whole lactaid a day. It's about three times as expensive as regular whole milk, but for me it's been worth it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

You have to train to stimulate size and strength and simultaneously eat more as the others have said. If you do so, you will gain the size you seek. With that said, being a CrossFitter, you want to focus more on absolute strength than size. The stronger you are a lower body weight the better you will do overall in CrossFit. I would thus avoid hypertrophy specific work and focus on gaining strength.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Josh Black

Profile:

Chris

What would be the proper workout to stimulate more strenght, and what kind of diet are you thinking.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

How do you eat currently?

I would do a hybrid Westside/CF routine with some hypertrophy specific assistance work thrown in. I am working on an article about combining Westside and CF right now (or, more correctly, some components of Westside).
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
How do you eat currently?

I would do a hybrid Westside/CF routine with some hypertrophy specific assistance work thrown in. I am working on an article about combining Westside and CF right now (or, more correctly, some components of Westside).
Can't wait to read it. Is there any olympic lifting thrown in?