CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Introducing Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
That's how my wife is right now with CF. I've been training her in our basement, and it's been all well and good, but she just isn't excited by it. She even says that its just something she "does".
With my mom it's been about 6 months before she started not dreading her workouts. I think full buy in will take about a year. And then actual "like" maybe another year. That's pretty much how long it's taken me to actually "want" to do workouts.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #22
Whitney Wilson

Profile:

My husband has a CrossFit affiliation, and although I love him very much and enjoy working out with him, I would rather work out at the box with other people (women) in the community.

For me, it helped to have the encouragement and friendly competition with other women who motivated me to do things I otherwise would never have tried. All the women at my box can relate to not being able to do a pullup or lifting nothing but a pvc pipe, but by meeting these women she will see that it is not impossible to change.

It doesn't mean she doesn't love you, but sometime women just need other women.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"but sometime women just need other women"

Very true.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #24
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

And that's how perfectly good threads end up in Pukies Bucket.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #25
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Allen,

I don't see how that would be the case. Men and women are different from each other. And onto that the very real possibility of sexual tension or attraction or the residual affect of general sexual desire coloring your interactions with memebers of the opposite sex and you get a sub optimal arrangement for some things.

The same is true for men. I think if a guy was struggling or just starting, he would want to talk to other dudes, not only because of their perspective but because guys relate differently to each other (in general) than they do to women.

Not that I think that a guy can't get good advice from a girl or or the other way around, nor should classes be segragated, but talking to someone or a group of your own gender should always be an option.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Allen,

I don't see how that would be the case. Men and women are different from each other. And onto that the very real possibility of sexual tension or attraction or the residual affect of general sexual desire coloring your interactions with memebers of the opposite sex and you get a sub optimal arrangement for some things.

The same is true for men. I think if a guy was struggling or just starting, he would want to talk to other dudes, not only because of their perspective but because guys relate differently to each other (in general) than they do to women.

Not that I think that a guy can't get good advice from a girl or or the other way around, nor should classes be segragated, but talking to someone or a group of your own gender should always be an option.
This..

Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #27
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
But trying to convince a significant other to do CF, or anything, is usually futile.
No effing kidding!!!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #28
Brock Wilson

Profile:

As was kind of stated earlier, in your shoes, I would highlight the fact that while she is a "machine junkie", a relatively low load of bodyweight squats basically kicked her a$$. No shame in that, at all, it's just an illustration of the "I thought I was in shape before" dynamic people are always saying.

Without knowing any of the people involved, there are usually two responses to this new information 1) the future firebreather says " Damn, I clearly need more of this, when the next time we squat?" and the Incurable Machine Junkie says "This is not for me".

I guess I'm not answering the OP's question (others have already done so with their links to scaled wods) as much as suggesting a different route. The extreme soreness is normal, and shoudnt repel you from continuing. That said, I find a sustained post WOD stretch reduce my soreness markedly.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

It will only work if she wants to work out with you and asks you to. Otherwise, I know you are very excited about Crossfit and I know you think it's the most awesomest thing since sliced bread, but please be smart and do not push your GF into it - it would be a decisively bad thing to do.

If she actually does want to work out with you, you should not coach her. She does not see you as a coaching figure, she sees you as a BF. You guys should be partners and just do the same workout, or maybe scale it for her, but essentially the same. Racing against each other could be fun (and possible if you scale it properly). Otherwise, this could cause more harm than good. Also, machines aren't all bad, if she does those and eats right and does some cardio, she'll be just fine.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #30
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Allen,

I don't see how that would be the case.
It was supposed to be a joke referencing the "Things a globo goer would say on entering a box..." thread. I should have added a wink or something afterwords.