CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
Rob Barnum

Profile:
After having done inverted burpees for the first time a few weeks back, I've been really trying to nail the 'kip' up to standing. As of now, I'm just rolling back (with arms behind my head) and pushing off while kipping. The result, however, is me landing with my feet on the floor and slamming my back against the ground. Am I just not getting enough height? Or...? If anyone knows how to do these and can walk them through for me, I'd be thrilled.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
It could be a combination of things; not a strong enough hip extension, not forcefully driving your legs up before reaching for the ground or just not enough practice of the coordination in order to get them all timed right. Keep pracitcing and find a place that will prevent injury while doing so!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Rob Barnum

Profile:
Thanks, Jesse...I think it's mostly coordination. Like with Handshand pushups, I've noticed that I have some sort of fear that causes me to tense up rather than follow through with the full motion. But, I wanted to make sure there wasn't some 'trick' I was missing.

My basic understanding of the action is that you kip up as high as you can, rolling yourself forward with your abs and hip flexors so that you can land with your feet somewhat underneath you.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
That's pretty much it, and there aren't any tricks that I know of, it's just a matter of getting the hang of the coordination and committing to the movement, just like you said. If you freak out half-way, you're not giving yourself a chance. Maybe Roger or another of the gymnastics crowd will chime in with some training tip, but everybody I've know of to learn it just found a padded surface and tried it as many times as it took to get it right!
Old 04-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Rob,

One thing that might help is to focus on throwing the arms forward as quickly as possible after the initial push off - it'll help to get your momemtum traveling up and forward more quickly than just pushing off the ground by itself and allows for a quicker, more dynamic abdominal contraction IMO.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 04-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:
Push with your hands and kick with your legs at the same time and focus on "rotating" around you hips as your legs go down and your torso goes up. If you can practice kips on parallel bars or high bar, it is basically the same motion with your legs as it is on those two apparatuses.

Ryan, the guy doing the rings handstand in your picture is too arched! Well, unless he is going for an inverted cross. :-)

(Message edited by braindx on April 30, 2006)
Old 04-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
:lol:
Would it be OK if he was just at the rear apex of his swing? Seriously, I'm not sure what he's going for, but I AM sure that the drawing was available for download for FREE!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:
Haha, nah it wouldn't be OK at all! The only time you really need to arch for a position on rings is right before you tap for back giants and in an inverted cross. So I don't really know what he's doing either! :crazy: Just thought it would be funny to comment on, hehe.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
There was a thread after that inverted burpee/floor kip WOD that went over some tips on them.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/22969.html

I actually thought I posted on some tips in that thread, but apparently I didn't.

Shoot your toes up and slightly forward. Ideally you won't really have to worry about bending at the waist when you land, since you should be in a stand with your hips and chest open just like the landing of a front handspring.
If you shoot up to much, you won't be able to catch it right to land. You could also practice these with a gravity assist by laying on a gymnasts wedge mat/cheese or some height that will allow your feet to land lower than your starting position. ( Be it a bed or panel mat, or whatever. )
Old 05-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
I've attached a progression of how I learned to kip. Landing flat on your back is very common. Try to remember to explode those legs outward not up and give a little push with your hands.http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/23781.gif