CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Josh Briggs

Profile:
When I work oblique punches (ie. hooks and uppercuts) on the heavy bag or while sparring and striking to the body, without handwraps, my wrists will sometimes collapse inwards.

It usually happens when I become distracted, and am not keeping a tight fist / wrist / forearm unit.

Anyone else experienced this? What did you do to prevent it? Exercises to increase the strenght of that extensional movement?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Ted Williams

Profile:
Use elbows :proud:

How are you doing the hooks? Wrist rotated with palm facing down, or facing your body (for lack of a better way of explaining it)?

I've experienced buckling on hooks before when I'm trying too hard or real tired...I forget and rotate my wrist for some reason. This is why I don't work hooks and uppercuts...Not really practical for me in real world application (outside of the ring, which I don't do anyhow).

Ted

forgot to add, another way to help this is make sure your hooks are sweeping out too far...work nice tight hooks, it'll help keep your wrist in line. Hope that makes sense.

(Message edited by universible on January 09, 2006)
Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Squeeze your fist hard at the moment of impact.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Josh - The problem is your loss of focus and allowing your punch alignment to go wonky. I hope you are not asking for how you can do the punch properly when not paying attention, the answer is in your question. When throwing either the hook or the uppercut you have keep your fist and wrist aligned with your elbow at 90 degrees. When you do that the impact of the punch will be directed in a straight line through your wrist into your forarm and is not likely to bend your wrist. If you let your mind wander while you are checking out the hot babe in the cropped top the following may happen:

If your elbow is higher than your hand your wrist may fold downward assuming a palm down puching hand. If your elbow is level with your hand but your forearm is inside 90 degrees you may fold your wrist inward if you have a palm toward you hand position.

What you must do is keep the 90 degrees in your elbow with your fist, wrist and elbow all in line relative to your punch. As you hook rotate your body and whip the arm with that rotation. Don't do the punch with just your arm. Same idea with the uppercut; line up your fist, wrist and elbow in a straight line and stand with the punch. If you keep everything lined up and tight (which means paying attention) you are not likely to roll your wrist.

Pay attention, it's easier than dealing with an injured wrist.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:
Exactly Eugene. Ted, I am not sure how you rule out both the hook and uppercut as impractical. In many tight space combat situations, there is a possibility an uppercut is viable (my opinion, of course) that being said, i am a big fan of the elbow myself.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
Ted Williams

Profile:
I go by the general rule that any hard impact or hard surface is going to damage my hands...so I don't really work in hooks and uppercuts for that reason. Now, of course you can use hooks in many different ways...I like open hand hooks, but they're more pushes...never really liked uppercuts, elbows "felt" better in close like that (up elbow coming from the hips, again hard to explain). To be really honest, I've been focusing more on the Senshido "shredding" concept than anything else. It makes striking impractical within a CQB range. Outside of a CQB range, no real call for hooks and uppercuts, if you use the Senshido 5 Principles of Retaliation. http://senshido.savi.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1405&highlight=principles+retaliat ion

Hope that makes sense...I have been actively looking at Senshido for about 6 years now, and have Crossfit to have a lot of conceptual similarities. Its what works for me at least.

Ted
Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Josh Briggs

Profile:
Thank you Gentlemen.

The boards here are the best example of high quality info-exchange I know of...
Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
joseph elberti

Profile:

Good hooks and uppercuts are not thrown as scooping punches.

Try visualising a 45 degree angle going up and away from your waist. Your forearm and wrist are one unit, not two. The knuckle lines up with the elbow, palm faceing your face. Any prepatory motion that takes place, occurs with a bend at the knees, and the fist is quickly pushed up, and out IN A STRAIGHT LINE as the waist torques to the opposite side of the fist your punching with. You DO NOT drop your hand down to prepare to throw an uppercut. You may as well stick your chin out, and ask to be hit.

You also stand up quickly -explode- with both legs, pivoting on balls of your feet (possibly dropping down on your lead foot if your throwing with your rear hand.)

For added power, slightly extend your back as the punch comes out- just a couple of inches.

Remember, the hand starts near your chin, and comes back as fast as possible- dont want to leave that chin exposed for any longer than it needs to!

To recap- if your punching properly, the wrist thingy wont be an issue, your fist and forearm should be travelling in a straight line! It merely looks like a scoop as the fist quickly comes back to the chin after impact.

Sorry if it reads kind of disjointed, its really hard to explain good form.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Eugene great description and analysis. The only thing I would add to hand position is in learning the hook it is best to strike with the pinky down. As you get better the hand position can change, but this position is best for avoiding injuries to both the wrist and knuckles. Josh the problem isn't strength it is lack of focus. Fighting is a very pure, it demands that you live in the moment.
Recoiling the hook is as simple as dropping the elbow.
Ted, Our friend the Pit Masta would disagree with you about the value of the hook. From my point of view a left hook to the body is a beautiful thing, something worth learning.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Ted Williams

Profile:
I don't disgree that its a valuable tool to learn...application wise, it depends on your over all goal in training. Your friend the Pit Masta (given the name) sounds like he might be training for sport. I see these as two completely different applications, so I have chosen to focus on what works practically for me. Just another point of view! :biggrin:

Ted