CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: found out something interesting/disturbing this morning

I went to a Div 3 school where is was very commonplace for the football and baseball guys to be on various performance enhancers(test, andro, etc).

Ben, I could be wrong, but I bet you had a some guys juicing and not telling you about it. If you didn't I'd be impressed and surprised. It seems like your program was one where performance enhancers weren't encouraged. But that doesn't mean it wasn't happening behind closed doors..
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
Frank E Morel

Profile:

nice of you for airing his private life on the web..
What gave you the right for showing his dirty laundry to the world?

It was his choice to take them in the first place... and the dangers of taking them is about as well known as
smoking cigarettes. His choice and his mistake.

Do you think that he will not have something to say if he loses something and decides to lay the blame on you?

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 10-12-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
Ben Sparks

Profile:

Justin, I suppose its possible there were more than 4. But pretty unlikely, given that the guys who were using were sort of a cult within the team and if others wanted to join them, they easily could have. It was disturbing, of course, that a couple of the coaches hinted to many of the rest of us that those guys were doing something "right".

It was also 20 years ago. PEDs were more likely to make people into John Matuzsak than Miguel Tejada back then.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

I'm with some of the other folks here, it isn't your place to judge his decisions. We all make our choices, and not everyone agrees with them. But, I have a pretty big problem with talking about things like this in a public forum where it would be easy for someone to connect the dots and "out" your buddy. We all use our real names here, and figuring out who the "friend" is could be pretty easy. Privacy is a big concern on the internet, it should be respected and taken seriously.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Ben,

I didn't mean to imply everyone playing college ball was on something, but that it occurs regularly enough that I'm not shocked to learn that someone is juicing.

As far as the dangers, there are safe ways of juicing and stupid ways of doing it. THese point have been discussed here in much greater detail.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Isn't it funny how old school body builders all seemed to reach the ripe age of 60, 70, 80 no probs, but modern type body builders all seem to have untimely deaths at 30, 35, ...

Tell that to your friend, and maybe even do a bit of research regarding pro football players. I'm sure there's a list of "those who have departed" with their ages to one side. Should be interesting to know if he wants to join that roster.

In any case Juicing = unfair, as is any type of "illegal" enhancement. If they do it, they get what they deserve. I don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone who does it and then pays the price.

Diego
Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
Ben Sparks

Profile:

Hey Jamie, no worries! I wasn't commenting back to anyone specifically, as everyone's sarcasm is really just a representation of how lots of people feel about football players - more outside these forums than in them, I suppose.

I got asked those 'wink-wink what are they feeding you' questions when I came home for the summers and it was uncomfortable to feel like people thought I was putting crap in my body I never would. Well, besides the fries & cottage cheese.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Dietrich View Post
my buddy who plays college ball was home for the weekend and we hit the gym this morning. i told him about crossfit and took him through todays wod with me. he got the main idea i think but he didnt seem to care. after the wod i asked him, what kind of lifts do his trainers have him do.

well, turns out he does all the power lifts religiously, and runs every so often. oh yeah, and he's taking steroids

he showed me where he injects them and all that... i told him that's not really being fit but he said he doesnt want to be fit. he just wants to throw the ball harder.. anyway, thought i should share
So?

Who would have thought that there are people that do things other than crossfit? and *gasp* steroids.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Isn't it funny how old school body builders all seemed to reach the ripe age of 60, 70, 80 no probs, but modern type body builders all seem to have untimely deaths at 30, 35,"

Ferrigno, Ahnuld, Draper, and most of the other guys out of the late 60's -early 80's are still around, and they juiced.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
David Meverden

Profile:

Finding something like that out would shake me too.

Dave Tate's video is good. Another thing to watch with an open mind is "Bigger, Stronger Faster" a very evenhanded documentary by an ex-steroid user who, earlier in his life, was disappointed to find out that all his heros from the 80's used steriods.

It's a great watch. Very interesting.

What did it teach me? That, even though I don't approve, it's not the end of the world to be taking steroids. I would never encourage anyone to start, but if your friend is being careful, is doing it for the 'less wrong' reasons, and plans to stop once his career in college ball is over, he'll physically be OK. Many people choose to do far more dangerous behaviors--such as smoking--without people batting much of an eye.