CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
David Hughes

Profile:
Re: Help me help my wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ricketts View Post
I know you really want her to workout with you but to start off with she just may not be comfortable yet because you have been doing it for a while and you are in better shape. Get her a trainer or a membership and let her discover fitness on her own. This is what worked for me. I now will do a few WODs with my husband but we both share the love for CF.
Good point...
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Adam Bennett

Profile:

Hey David,

yeah, i winced when i read that, too...! i know Dimitri's heart was in the right place when he wrote it, but let's just say i don't quite have the big brass ones required for that approach i choose LIFE!!
I'm definitely wary of pushing too hard, too soon - i'll just do like big business advertising and go subliminal...soon she'll be thinking CrossFit and not even knowing why!

Mrs. Ricketts, i'd like to say a particular thankyou to you - it is great to get a female's perspective on the situation. I totally understand what you are saying, i know it is just a case of baby steps and not letting my enthusiasm get the better of me. I will have a look into trainers around town and see if there's anything i missed previously.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out, i really appreciate the comments!

Cheers guys
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Troy Williams

Profile:

Yeah I'd be very careful about telling a girl to exercise, you're starting all kinds of trouble there!

Maybe you could offer to train her and a few of her friends, get them competing against each other?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #14
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

is there a box nearby where your wife can start under her own steam and at her own rate... even if it is just for a few months. In my experience men and women sometimes make assumptions about each others basic understanding of what seem like simple terms... ie when braceing for a lift most women starting out take a deep breath upper chest and suck the stomach in.. making the area appear flatter and the waist smaller.. it can take a lot of different explanations for the penny to drop so to speak this is just one very small example.

just keep inmind that what may seem blindingly obvious to you may not be to the ladies..

good luck I do hope that she comes to enjoy the CF expereince as much as i do

Cheers

Helen
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

In case people haven't noticed, this was initially posted in 2009. I guess better late than never. I'd also modify my original post in many many ways, but I doubt anybody cares.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
In case people haven't noticed, this was initially posted in 2009. I guess better late than never. I'd also modify my original post in many many ways, but I doubt anybody cares.
Good grief!!!! how unobservant of me! I have a firm purpose of ammendement

H