CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Heat Training with WODs

I read the other heat threads, but none of them really pertain to my question.

I am training for a specific endurance event this summer where temperature will be around 85 degrees and very humid. It probably won't go much above that, but I want to be very prepared to deal with heat. Genetically I am predisposed to sweating a lot, and losing more than 7% of bodyweight during the event is grounds for disqualification. Clearly I will be eating and drinking during this time to maintain bodyweight, but I do not know whether or not my sweat rate will outpace my nutrition uptake. I also don't know if the heat will have any other effects on my body aside from dehydration, such as heat cramps.

It seems there is some evidence to support the idea the body will acclimate to heat training, like in this article (wfs). I think this is widely accepted. What I cannot find, however, is whether or not heat training with high intensity interval-type workouts will result in adaptations for activities at low-intensity, long duration events. If it does, I am open to advice on how to train in this manner.

I am using CF/CFE for my training, so I am wondering if there is any advantage to doing my workouts under the highest possible temperatures while wearing heavy clothing. Lots of endurance athletes training for heat will wear layered clothing and do sauna training (wfs).

Where does one draw the line between bringing about physiological adaptations and creating a health risk? Is there any safe way for me to do WODs at higher temperatures?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Annlee Hines

Profile:
Re: Heat Training with WODs

Shane,

If you haven't seen it before, look around this site (WFS) - http://www.ultrunr.com/

Lots of resources and discussions of all things ultra. Another resource (commercial) is Hammer Nutrition (aka Endurolytes) - their "Free Knowledge" section has some valuable info, though of course they're always flogging their product. However, a number of ultra folks swear by Hammer's products, so I'd say it's at least worth a look. WFS - http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...T&PROD.ID=4037

Luck!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Graeme Marshall

Profile:

how long is the event???

aclimitisation will be the key, but using a sauna of layers of heavy clothing as means of artifical heat, i'd be very careful since especially when it comes to external heat and your core body temp.... google checking core temp... :eeek:
unless you have a medical team or atleast someone else there to make sure you are good, i'd take things slowly, and only make small increases in the temperature and workout intensity
Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Thanks Arlen. I've pored over that site many times, as it's like a bible of training.

Graeme: 100 miles. I don't have an estimated time yet, but I figure I'll be out in the heat of the day for about 9 hours and up to 4 more if I'm not finished by dawn.

I've also read that passive heat training brings about the benefits of acclimatization, so I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to just spend a few hours in a sauna each week any echew air conditioning,etc.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Graeme Marshall

Profile:

100 miles, WOW, anything move than about 10k and that me.... obviously pace will be the key, too fast and gas out or too slow and risk being out in the heat longer than you need to.
I have never considered using external methods to help aclimitise, normally takes me a few weeks at the most to get used to the climate i am in.
I guess Google will become your friend, but the only issue is sorting thru all the BS to get factual scientific information that will be beneficial.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Make sure you drink water. Or gatorade, whatever you need for those kinds of events.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Jeremy O'Neil

Profile:

Acclimation and nutrition are going to be the keys to your success! In the past I have used CF to train for 12hr and 100+ mile MTB events quite successfully. There are little things you can do with out jumping in a sauna:

Where is the event taking place? If you are going to be in the sun for 9+ hours protect your self from the sun i.e sunscreen, hat-helmet, long sleeve shirt whatever you feel will keep you protected!

If you primarily do your workouts or training inside - go outdoors during hotter parts of the day.
Layer clothing during the workout (no sweat suits) and remove as needed.
Your body needs to be fueled and hydrated before the event and your training and sustain throughout the event (I enjoy fig newtons and raisins).
Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy O'Neil View Post
Acclimation and nutrition are going to be the keys to your success! In the past I have used CF to train for 12hr and 100+ mile MTB events quite successfully. There are little things you can do with out jumping in a sauna:

Where is the event taking place? If you are going to be in the sun for 9+ hours protect your self from the sun i.e sunscreen, hat-helmet, long sleeve shirt whatever you feel will keep you protected!

If you primarily do your workouts or training inside - go outdoors during hotter parts of the day.
Layer clothing during the workout (no sweat suits) and remove as needed.
Your body needs to be fueled and hydrated before the event and your training and sustain throughout the event (I enjoy fig newtons and raisins).
Thanks for suggestions. The event is in Vermont and in July, New England is really humid. I'm not sure how much cover there will be, but I will keep in mind effects of sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
Make sure you drink water. Or gatorade, whatever you need for those kinds of events.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I'm flying blind here, but just thinking as far as training your body, I don't think I'd suggest heavy clothing because your body is made to sweat and do other things (bring blood to the surface of the skin, etc) to lower your body temperature. You want to teach it to do that effectively, and I'd think heavy clothing would hinder that.

Do you have a garage you can do your WODs in? Might consider closing the garage door(s) for a few hours in the middle of the day before beginning your workout, it should get nice and toasty in there.

Beyond that, the only other things I can think of is when you're doing your CF Endurance workouts (running I presume), wear dark clothing and go out during the hottest part of the day and/or when the sun is highest in the sky (is this the same time? I dunno).

Oh, and make sure you breathe, or whatever you need for this kind of event.

Ok, sorry, just had to say it.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Tom Gerhard

Profile:

Hi Shane -

I'm going out on a limb here and assume it is the Vermont 100 (wfs). I envy you, man! That's supposed to be a beautiful race -- and yes, humidity can be a problem, but in looking at the course photos, there seems to be a good bit of shade.

I don't know what your training is, but I would echo the others here who say to get outside in the hottest part of the day to do the WODs. Since I live in a giant terrarium (Central Florida), I've never had to resort to the layers-of-clothes-and-sauna trick.

I would be interested in how you're training for this.

Enjoy!