CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
Matt Rexin

Profile:
Re: Cross fit and Regular Lifiting

My personal weight gain was a variation on squats and milk, it was squats and peanut butter. However, I would caution that this does require a lot of milk to get the peanut butter down.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
Nick Cummings

Profile:

If you are not gaining weight the solution is straightforward, eat more.

Please do not let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to be more attractive or more confident about your body and using exercise to help you achieve those results. That being said the best way that I have found to "improve my looks" is to workout hard and achieve performance goals I set for myself.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #23
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quite honestly, anyone can go to the gym everyday, it's no big deal. The hard part is the diet. Go into globo today, and go back a year, or two years from now, 95% or more of the people will look exactly the same.

Do what you want, cf or bb, but neither will help your body comp without diet. And remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #24
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If you want to be big, 3500 cals is not going to cut it.

I'm 230 trying to get to 240, here is what I eat in a day

0900 6 raw eggs, 1 pint milk, a few servings of fruit

1200 3/4 lb meatloaf, half a plate of veggies, a few servings of fruit, pint of whole milk

post workout, about 1500

1 quart chocolate milk

3/4 lb of some kind of meat, more veggies, more fruit, shots of olive oil

3/4 lb meat, more fruit

1 hour before bed
6 raw eggs, 1 pint whole milk
No fear of the dreaded salmonella?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #25
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

K. Did a little research on my own. This is interesting.

Quote:
If one looks at studies which have been done to analyse the risks of contracting salmonella from raw eggs, it is surprising to find out how low this risk actually is. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2002 (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-18) indicates that only 2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella.

So this really means that only 0.003 % of eggs are infected. Viewed another way, only 1 in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella, which shows how uncommon this problem actually is.

Based on those numbers, the average person would come across a contaminated egg only once in 42 years.
Source: http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi...t/raw-eggs.htm (wfs)

+1 for improving (or manipulating) body comp through diet, BTW.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #26
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I've drank plenty of raw eggs with no trace. You letting the media get to you?
You scared of bird flu?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #27
Chris Terry

Profile:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT I will say that I have gianed 19 lbs since the beginning of the year doing CF workouts 3x/wk and a SS routine 2x/wk. Also, I have been doing about 1/2 GOMAD and eating EVERYTHING. This has done well for me. Granted, I have gained some body fat due to my diet being ridiculously "dirty", but for someone who has always been "very skinny" I don't much care. At 6' tall and 170# I feel worlds better than 3 months ago. And I still look pretty lean. Also, strength has skyrocketed. The biggest diff is in my dips and Deadlift (1 RM from 205 in mid January to 1RM at 285# this past Sunday). Anyway, I digress, listen to Jamie, he is brilliant when it comes to nutrition!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

The ol' "Get-Big Mentality"....
Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #29
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
The ol' "Get-Big Mentality"....
The old too good too care about what you look like or anything beyond performance exactly as you describe it mentality. Is this the same thing you tell your clients who come to you with hopes of being healthier and more confident about their bodies?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #30
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, as most of the replies are focused on gaining mass.

Me, I've been trying to lose mass, lean out, etc. I don't like saying I'm *trying to lose weight* anymore. Because frankly, the number on the scale isn't nearly as important a benchmark as the number of rounds of Cindy, etc., when it comes to achieving the kind of results people end up noticing. And yes, I'm specifically referring to appearance. Come on, who doesn't care about what they look like? I freely admit that a big reason I'm doing the crossfit thing is to look good. And I think most crossfitters would agree, if they're being really honest with themselves.

I concur with other posters that diet is the key to improving body composition. I personally follow a modified Paleo diet (include dairy, legumes, some alcohol), that has made a dramatic difference in my body composition in 3 months. Also, I don't count calories or any of that nonsense.

I keep telling people-I'm not on a diet. I eat good food, as much as I want, whenever I feel like it. And the difference has been the fundamental dietary benefits of protein, fruits and vegetables compared to my old grain and sugar laden diet. Also, once you go cold-turkey from grains and sugar, the cravings WILL cease after a week or two, I promise. And once you've "gotten off the crack," you'll find it's really simple to maintain (with the occasional cheat thrown in-again, it's a lifestyle, not a diet, don't drive yourself insane).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's possible to Zone with undesirable foods. Even if your blocks are in order, I would imagine your body comp will not be improved very much if some of your blocks are grain/sugar based.

Of course, the true firebreathers out here will tell you to Zone with Paleo food choices for maximum results, and I wouldn't disagree.

Try paleo and crossfit for 30 days, strict, and see if you can go back....

Last edited by Matt Hitt : 03-26-2009 at 10:30 AM.