CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #411
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

I just got clued into CFSB this morning, not new to CF, just dont nose around the forums too much other than the equipment forum.

I have two questions for those of you familiar with CFSB:

1 - I cannot do front squats, just cant, end of story. How would replacing these with some heavy/high rep zercher sandbag squats do?

2 - As my schedule is now, I can get in the garage 2x day. How would breaking the ME days into an AM/PM split work? I was thinking ME in morning as I do love heavy sets after breakfast settles and the remainder in the evening. I also thought about switching the ME/high rep exercises to account for the atrophy that has set in in the 8 hours since the ME sets. For example this is how Tuesday would look:

Tuesday ME Deadlifts + high rep press + metcon

I should say that I am not looking to loose weight, just to get a little bit more in and I have been thinking about picking up a 2x day routine.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #412
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Covington View Post
1 - I cannot do front squats, just cant, end of story. How would replacing these with some heavy/high rep zercher sandbag squats do?
Your arms, back, shoulders, etc. would fatigue before your legs and would be your limiting factor.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #413
Jon Levy

Profile:

How do you judge when a high-rep deadlift set has ended? Example: I've been doing breath and regrip at the bottom. Today, after 13 or 14 reps, my back got too tight to stay down in the setup position so I stood up. I ended up getting 22 reps before I couldn't lift anymore. After some of the reps, I paced or paused or both for 5-10 seconds before performing the next rep. Should I have stopped when I needed to stand up and pause, or was I right to go to muscle failure regardless of short pauses? Thanks. CFSB is awesome.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #414
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Thomas,
I can't do the rack position so I can't do proper FS either. I would recommend substituting oly lifting; either cleans, or snatches. Maybe even OHS. That is what I did. 2. I think 2x per day can only help, but just don't over do it. IMO, when you/we do split routines like that there is a tendency to overtrain b/c instead of splitting an hour workout in half, you end up doing 2 one hour workouts! Not a good idea on this program, it a lot of work. Regarding switching the high reps, I would not do that. Do the base program first, its great.

Jon L.,
IMO, I would not and did not do the high rep like that. IMO, the high rep is meant to give you endurance (obviously) in order to aid you especially in the CF wod's. I think the majority opinion, this has been discussed, is to keep the bar moving and it's "touch and go" at the bottom; maybe not bounce off the floor, but not stop & reset either. Whichever way you do it, just log it and keep doing it the same though. I think maybe you should lower the weight to where you are doing 18-20 nonstop, then next week do 12-9-6 or whatever protocol. IMO
Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #415
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Jon L. and Brian, per Jeff it is permissible to re-grip at the bottom without coming up off of the bar, kinda like shifting the weight on your shoulders on high-rep BS. Standing up ends the set; you should recover and finish, record.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #416
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Covington View Post
I just got clued into CFSB this morning, not new to CF, just dont nose around the forums too much other than the equipment forum.

I have two questions for those of you familiar with CFSB:

2 - As my schedule is now, I can get in the garage 2x day. How would breaking the ME days into an AM/PM split work? I was thinking ME in morning as I do love heavy sets after breakfast settles and the remainder in the evening. I also thought about switching the ME/high rep exercises to account for the atrophy that has set in in the 8 hours since the ME sets. For example this is how Tuesday would look:

Tuesday ME Deadlifts + high rep press + metcon

I should say that I am not looking to loose weight, just to get a little bit more in and I have been thinking about picking up a 2x day routine.

As for #2, I like to do the CFSB strength workout in the morning and do my metcon in the evening. Works out very well for me.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #417
Bo Schmidt

Profile:

I'd like to try the CFSB template for a while. I feel my press is my limiting factor, thus I've changed the program a bit (3 on 1 off):

1: ME BS + Density training* Press + metcon (< 10 min)
2: ME DL + metcon (< 10 min)
3: Metcon
Rest.
5: ME Press + Press protocol + metcon (max 20 min)
6: ME FS + BS 1 x 15-20 + short heavy metcon (< 10 min)
7: Metcon.
Rest.

*Density training will go like this (1 set every minute):
Week 1 - warmup 4x2 - work set 65%/9x3 Power
Week 2 - warmup 4x2 - work set 70%/8x3 Power
Week 3 - warmup 4x2 - work set 80%/8x2 Strength/High Power
Week 4 - warmup 4x2 - work set 85%/6x2 Strength
Week 5 - warmup 4x2 - work set 75%/10x2 High Power
Week 6 - warmup 4x2 - work set 80%/8x2 High Power/Strength
Week 7 - warmup 4x2 - work set 90%+/8x1 High Strength
Week 8 - warmup 4x2 - work set 95%+/4x1 High Strength

Percentages are of 1 RM.

What do you think? Any alterations / additions?

Just to clarify: The "x=>x" in the protocol means a relatively heavy weight that by reaching those reps you'll be fatigued?

-Bo
Old 06-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #418
Scott Dyck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
As for #2, I like to do the CFSB strength workout in the morning and do my metcon in the evening. Works out very well for me.

Works well for me too. I also do longer metcons if I feel like it (did back squats and Daniel yesterday.)
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #419
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dyck View Post
Works well for me too. I also do longer metcons if I feel like it (did back squats and Daniel yesterday.)
I generally do the main site WOD in the evening. If it's a strength-type workout, though, I sub. something like a run or a CFE workout.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #420
Brian Bedell

Profile:

CFSB Testimonial:

I've been putting off saying this for about 3 weeks b/c frankly, I did not believe it. But I've checked the mirror, the scale, my gf, etc. many times. I seemed to have added about 10-12 lbs of lean muscle doing this program over the last several months. I'm 41. 5'8", 201lbs this morning clothed.