CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #31
Michael Peachey

Profile:
Re: What Do You Think: My Exercise Philosophy

Hi Jibeel,

I sort of switched off after a few posts here, and skipped to the end of this thread, so forgive me if anyone has already posted something similar here.

You can't just look at hinge joints as simple levers and mechanical efficiency when working inside of 90 degrees. You also need to take into consideration the length-tension relationship of contractile elements of the musculo-tendinous unit (ie-sliding filaments of the proteins), specificity of training related to joint angle / joint speed, motor-unit facilitation / cross bridge cycling, force vectors relating to joint traction, and the distance of the origin or insertion of the muscle (or it's multiple heads) in relation to the joint.

Oh, and neither the knee or the elbow are strict hinge joints either (see tibial rotation and the screw home mechanism, and also the interaction between the olecranon / head of the radius).

The most important thing though - if you do not train a specific muscle / joint through an angle, you do not get strong at another angle / speed (some studies suggest up to a 20 per cent carry over at best).
Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #32
Michael Peachey

Profile:
Re: What Do You Think: My Exercise Philosophy

Sorry for the double post, but went back and read the whole thread, now I can't help myself!!!

Yep, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! A lever IS more efficient to move a boulder. While we're at it I'll use a sack trolley to move the lever, drive my car to the boulder, then have someone push me in a wheelchair to said boulder. Wait, I could probably even just sub-contract someone to do it for me. This is way more efficient. Won't even work up a sweat.

No need to train deep squats, dips, DL's, bench, or even walking for that matter now. That's now my exercise philosophy.