CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Ryan Scott

Profile:
All,

I was in a discussion yesterday, with two others who were convinced that you got a better workout when it is really hot and humid (90+ degrees and 80% humidity) I know it feels worse when it is hot out, but the intensity suffers. How do you feel about working out in the heat? Is it unnecessary pain, or is it a necessary evil.

Ryan.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I think it depends on how you perceive it.

If you are uncomfortable in the heat, then it might affect your performance. On the other hand, you might keep pushing and use the discomfort to push harder. Same goes for cold, humid, dry, etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
when it's hotter out, your heart has to work harder to get rid of more heat, so in that way it could be better. But you also can't put out the same intensity from your working muscles if your heart can't keep up with the pumping required to both deliver oxygen and remove heat

At least that's my three cents.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Justin Algera

Profile:
For some reason, I really love it... I think for me though it comes from being born and raised in Florida. I grew up playing baseball, football, and soccer in the scorching summers and hot springs and falls. When its winter time here in NYC, I just have a hard time with training. Did the 5k yesterday in 90 degrees and high humidity and it was like being back home.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Well running in the heat is very hard on the body because of the electrolytes, salt, and H2O lost through the process of your body trying to stay cool. That being said, something odd is that the cooler the weather the denser the O2 level, so biologically as long as it isn't below -50 then your lungs have an easier time after a warm up of getting and retaining Oxygen in a cold/cool environment. I like running in cool weather....Cross Country taught me that much.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
The key is the body's ability to lose heat. High humidity makes one of the primary methods of heat loss - evaporation - less effective. That leaves only radiation (hot skin), convection (wind), and conduction (direct transfer - this is why I press my face to the concrete after sprints :> ). Unfortunately, evaporation is the bodies prefered method. It is important to remember that core temperature isn't really affected by drinking cold drinks, and cool showers only work if you stay in them for @ 10 minutes or more. My advice - be careful, and don't expect cool weather performance on a hot, sticky day.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
Darren Zega

Profile:  
From ROTC in college and PTing outdoors in virtually every condition (a campus in the mountains of southwest VA), my experience is that any extreme change from what you've conditioned from will hurt your performance and will not necessarily give you a 'better' workout.

Running specifically comes to mind. It may just be the added weight from wearing full sweats, but all those fun mornings I remember running in 5 degree weather, my times were significantly slower and I expended significantly more effort just trying to keep my breath in the extremely cool weather. This was significantly pronounced in a few cadets from Florida. Their times would increase and stay worse until either the weather warmed up or several months passed allowing them to acclimate to the temperature. When the weather finally warmed up, their times would not be significantly faster, bunking the 'better workout' myth.

The opposite extreme, I remember in my senior year my friends and I went on a cruise for our spring break. Our break was in March, which still saw temperatures as low as 25 degrees up in the mountains. Our first day on the ship's running track, instantly switching to Miami weather of 70-80 degrees and near 90% humidity, the six of us saw the same effects as winter acclimation. Our times increased and stayed high all week until we got back to campus where they returned to near normal again. (A little bit higher for a few of my friends who turned into fatties on the boat)

Ultimately, you're going to get the best workout in whatever you're acclimated to, so train in the conditions you want to perform in.

(Message edited by davion13 on June 27, 2007)
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Connie Morreale

Profile:
there is a pretty big disparity between my five mile runs on a treadmill and running in the florida 90 degreeheat/90% humidity. BIG disparity.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
I can take the heat, but hate the humidity. We did our final PT test at academy for the Sheriff's Dept. on a semi-hot, very humid day, and everyone was feeling it. Our times were not what we had expected.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 AM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I actually love the heat! I guess thats why I used to practice bikram yoga for 4 years too