CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Knee Problems

Constant massage... whenever you have free time or think of it.. massage it.

Rest.. is obviously good.

Quad stretch + some ART like Bryan said.

Ice if sore.

If you aggravate it enough you'll get permanent injury... just so you know. Speaking from experience (Osgood Schlatter's -> overuse -> permanent injury).
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Javier Ramirez

Profile:

So does that mean i can't weight lift much or what? I really don't think i over use them but i barely get pain in them anymore only when it gets hit hard directly where the bump is at.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Ramirez View Post
So does that mean i can't weight lift much or what? I really don't think i over use them but i barely get pain in them anymore only when it gets hit hard directly where the bump is at.
Sounds like you're fine then. Just be wary about overuse/soreness.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
Austin Bray

Profile:

Hi, I thought I'd drop my question into this thread.

So I ran Saturday's 10k. it was the first time I had run any further than 5k. My energy level felt pretty good throughout the whole thing but the next morning my right knee was really painful.

My knee continues to be rather stiff/achey. so I'm going to lay off of it. any advice on how long I should leave it alone? 2 weeks? a month?
I never had any pain in it before the 10k and I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to that.

thanks in advance.
Court 29yo m 6' 215lb
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Your pain is at the tibial tuberosity too?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Austin Bray

Profile:

ack, I know I should do more homework on this. All I can really say is "my knee hurts". mostly around the kneecap. I think I'm going to start with 2 weeks of rest and go from there. hopefully I can get back to the knee health I was at before.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by court bray View Post
ack, I know I should do more homework on this. All I can really say is "my knee hurts". mostly around the kneecap. I think I'm going to start with 2 weeks of rest and go from there. hopefully I can get back to the knee health I was at before.
Around the kneecap? May be patellofemoral syndrome. Google it and see if it matches what you have...

I dunno I'm just speculating because there's limited info, heh.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
Sergey Cherman

Profile:

court bray: I am pretty sure I have the exact same thing. I ran the 10K and felt sore after wards. However I developed serious pain in my right knee. It has improved but stairs, inclines and declines still really hurt. I did take a fall, but most of it was on my hands so my knee should not have gotten hurt.

Is your pain constant or just when you bend the knee? Does it hurt directly above the knee cap and to the left a little bit, kinda where there is a slight groove if your leg is out straight?

Either way, that 10k also really did me in, can't bend the knee so no WODs that require knees in anyway. I plan on making a doctors appointment tomorrow so if you do have the same pain i'll let you know what my doctor thinks.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #19
Andrea Schüler

Profile:

Be careful with those knee problems!
Very often "overuse injuries" are "wrong use injuries" i. e. coordination deficits ("bad technique"). If you run or squat with hyperlordosis, shortened hip flexors, hyperpronation, no midline stabilization (look for Kelly Starrets Videos in CF Journal) etc. etc. your knee joint is always "overused" - even with very moderate training load.
The common causes for bad coordination are sedentary lifestyle, wromg training or too much stress (sensor motor amnesia) . But one important reason not so well known is that many children never learn proper movements during their motor ontogenesis from 0 - 6 years! It is important to start in school with injury prevention by correcting insufficient motor ontogenesis as early as possible.

I got my "runner's knee" some years ago. My knee joint was ok - except for the tendonitis (MRI). I did only moderate running (30 to 45 minutes) , dancing and bodyweight exercises. Nothing real hard on the joints like soccer, karate or weightlifting. Years later I learned that my coordination was wrong. From foot to shoulder! But I compensated good enough to fool myself and others. Competent and commited PTs, Trainers and Doctors would have seen the problem , but they are hard to find.

I had incompetent doctors, PTs and trainers - so the unrecognized problem developed into cartilage damage behind the knee caps! Meanwhile I learned a lot about coordination and about methods to correct it. I eventualy found good doctors and PTs via extensive research and going from one therapist to the next. Now I am busy to fix my problem. It's hard and takes time and expensive coaches/therapists because of the Sensory Motor Amnesia The methods that help are Hanna Somatics, and Spiraldynamik .
Dr. Christian Larsen, Aikido Master and MD in Switzerand and his fellow researchers developed it. It's tragic, but even today lots of MDs, PTs and trainers have no clue or they just dont't care.

For CrossFitters living in Europe I recommend Spiraldynamik for "overuse injuries" or any movement problems.
Learn more about it here:
http://www.movenet24.de/spiraldynamik/pdf/ksis253.pdf

Link is family and work safe.

Bottom line: if you have an "overuse" injury", first make sure that it is not a "wrong use injury". Because in this case massage and stretching treats only the symptoms not the cause and the injuries will get worse.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Steven Low

Profile:

Nice post Andrea.

When out in public if you look closely at a lot of people's gaits you can see problems in them. Combine that plus obesity or lots of athletic activity + poor shoes and such and no wonder you have tons of injuries.