CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Re: Adversarial workouts

I think my workout may have been misunderstood, the workout I was describing is essentially the same thing as what you described with the kettlebells. Just image that same workout but on a circular course where you start on opposite ends and your goal is to catch up to your partner. So every step your partner takes is an extra step you have to take to catch him. Two people who have identical conditioning would, in theory, never be able to finish the workout.

And while I certainly agree there is no need for these types of workouts and you can certainly have plenty of great workouts without this stuff I also think it's a fun little twist and personally I would like to give some of these a try. I think it's an interesting bit of added competition. CF is all about mixing it up!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gray View Post
I think my workout may have been misunderstood, the workout I was describing is essentially the same thing as what you described with the kettlebells.
Looking back, you're right. It pretty much is the same. I just got thrown off by the fact that the two cyclists aren't physically interacting with each other. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
You may be overthinking this a bit, Joe. Damn near every workout is adversarial in the sense that it gives you a result that you can compare to someone else's, in the same gym or all over the world. You don't need to make them more complex in order to get the element of competition going.
Complexity has nothing to do with it. Andrew's idea, for example, is very simple. And yes, I'm aware that you can slap a time on a WOD and compare it to others. But that's not the adversarial I'm talking about.

Regular WOD : Adversarial WOD :: Bowling : Tennis

In bowling (or golf or pinball or what-have-you) the player tries to knock down as many pins as possible without interference from anyone, and the number of points at the end is compared to another player (or players) to determine a winner. But aside from the ultimate win/loss decision, neither competitor has a direct influence on the other's performance (unless you want to get into mind games, which you shouldn't). In tennis, however, what you do has a very direct and immediate impact on your opponent. That is the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

My buddy and I did a very "adversarial" wod a while back. We were playing around with ways to incorporate some violence into the workouts.

We would both start next to each other hanging from the pull-up bars. for 30 seconds we'd try whatever we could do to knock or pull the other guy off the bars. Meanwhile we had two other people throwing medballs at us. If after 30 seconds neither of us had let go or tapped, we dropped off the bar and did 20 burpees before getting back on and repeating. It was a great core and grip workout, and you're motivated to fly through the burpees so you can be on the bar waiting for the other guy.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
Jake Dent

Profile:

We used to do something like these called "gentleman's relays" and we'd have one guy run say 200m while the other guy did burpees/pushups whatever, when the runner returns you switch. The faster you ran the fewer burpees they'd have to do so it was "gentlemanly" to run fast. You can of course switch up exercises every round.