CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:
scaling question on Cindy

Hi everyone: I did Cindy for the first time the other day and I finally had to drop to my knees for the last 2 rounds of pushups.(I got to 18 2/3 rounds with jumping pullups). I was thinking after.. .. do you think it would have been better to take more breaks (do 5, rest, then 5) and stay on my feet or move to get more reps in and do the last few reps from knees? I am new to this and I just don't know what "real crossfitters" would do? I also have a similar problem with my pullups. I really can't do more than 5 (with blueband) with full extension and full chin over bar, so when I have to do a lot of them sometimes I know that I don't get all the way to full extension and fully over the bar.. I basically have the same question with this... should I take more breaks or what do you recommend? (my A1Goal this year is to get my kipping pullups and get rid of the darn band, so please consider this in your answer!).
thanks for all your help!!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: scaling question on Cindy

That's a great Cindy score! You have the stamina to get the "for time" part. As a variation, you might want to emphasize the strength part and take more rests. This will get you closer to the Rx way to doing it, and eventually will improve your Cindy score. I also believe that strengthening your pullups will get you kipping pullups sooner and safer. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think the first rule is to always use good form and full ROM; for example in your pullups. If you can't, then you either need to do fewer reps, less weight, or take more rest; whatever the case may be. The manner in which you scale (with good form of course) I believe is up to you. The important part is to simply record what you did so you can judge your improvement next time.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I would personally split pushups and do full pushups and lose rounds if I had to. If I were trying to develop pullups, I would ensure I got to full extension ans throat to bar uber alles. That said, you wouldn't harm yourself by going port and starboard on the approaches, scaling for intensity, or scaling for strength (in essence). As a caveat, I came to CF with pullups and pushups to a level that I got 19 rounds on my first Cindy, so I have never used CF to develop pullups and pushups.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
I would personally split pushups and do full pushups and lose rounds if I had to. If I were trying to develop pullups, I would ensure I got to full extension ans throat to bar uber alles. That said, you wouldn't harm yourself by going port and starboard on the approaches, scaling for intensity, or scaling for strength (in essence). As a caveat, I came to CF with pullups and pushups to a level that I got 19 rounds on my first Cindy, so I have never used CF to develop pullups and pushups.
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by going port and starboard on the approaches (as you can see, I am a sailor, but ... this is not the same use here!) thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Sorry, switching between the two, first one, then the other.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:

I agree with Robert. When thinking about scaling I think one should consider what the goal is for that particular day. On "Cindy" is it rounds no matter what, or strict and unassisted movements no matter what. Both will give a fantastic workout, but the training effect will be somewhat different.

How about doing a "Cindy' some time without Jumping and not from your knees just to see how many rounds you could get from that version?

It sounds like you are really enjoying CF! Congrats.

--bingo
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post

How about doing a "Cindy' some time without Jumping and not from your knees just to see how many rounds you could get from that version?
I talked to my coach about doing the pullups with band as opposed to jumping.. One minor detail i didn't mention is that I am only 5' and I spend more time climbing up to do the pullups than I spend doing 5 at a time (for this workout), but in general I always do band assisted as opposed to jumping. Soon... no band, no box!!
I agree with all of you and I will pay much more attention to my form on the pullups. My form on pushups has really improved--chest to deck! I have only been doing CF very inconsistently since this summer, but for 2009 I am going to do it regularly and I also got "The Zone" to work on diet too!! thanks so much everyone for all your support and encouragement!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Sharon Miller

Profile:

Marianne I too am only 5' and I understand the pain of that extra 20" step up or climb to that pull-up bar. I also think the 22" box jump is just cruel that is 37% of our height

I agree with the general consensus when scaling. First you just need to decide if you want to make it more of a strength/form workout or metcon and it is okay to switch it up each time. Just keep track or your modifications so you can see your improvements!