CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I've been doing WODs liberally over the past four or five months now. I probably do about two a week, as well as saying yes to every invitation to any sport that comes up along the way. I'm 88kg, 11% bodyfat and 5'11". however I've read a recent Octogen newsletter and been told that goals are a good thing to have.

I guess the only kind of goal I have is to be able to do whatever I want physically, and have the fitness to excel at it. Will this suffice? I really have internal motivation, but I'm thinking perhaps I should have actual goals.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
William Winger

Profile:
You've probably seen the 'CFN levels' been discussed to death around here the last couple of weeks. But if you haven't really looked into it, they provide a great baseline for goal formation.

They're located here:
www.crossfitnorth.com/articles/Athletic_Skill_Standards.pdf

As to other methods of generating specific goals, pick a weight you'd like to be able to do in three months [or better yet, a "benchmark girl workout" you'd like to improve your time/score in], that's not insane, and work towards it. Or think of something that would help in your sport, whatever that may be, and train specifically for that. Good luck, train hard!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Definately have goals: They give you a great opportunity to pat yourself on the back, when you've accomplished them. And it gives you focus on top.

I usually have 3 goals at the time, which individually target my weaker sides. That way training is more facetted and fun. Once a goal have been reached, hop on to the next one.

It has to be 'small' goal, though, so you get them done within a reasonable timeframe. For instance my current goals are bodyweight exercises. First three goals was:

1: 8 one arm pushups per arm
2: 250 air squats
3: 40 sec. of L-sit

Next 3-goal-circle was:

1: 40 pushups
2: 6 pistols per leg
3: 2 minuttes of frogstance

etc.

The idea behind is alternating between high rep/low tension exercises and low rep/high tension. So when its low rep for the upperbody, it's high rep for the lower body, and vice versa. And an extra goal for variation. The same pattern can be used in any kind of goalsetting. It's no use setting a goal of 40 pushups and then have the next goal be 60 pushups. Then you'll wear yourself out and bore yourself to death on top.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Yes.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Jerry Berg

Profile:

I'd also write them down. Regardless of fitness, work, family, etc...if you write them down, it makes them a little more real. I do that with WOD when I don't want to do one, I'll check it at work and write it down and put it on a piece of paper and put it in my pocket, makes it a lot harder to skip after I write it down. just my $.02