CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
David Muryn

Profile:
Insurance in Canada

Hi everyone - working on opening a CrossFit facility in Canada, any recommendations on insurance, provider and costs?
Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Michael Fall

Profile:
Re: Insurance in Canada

Greetings David,

We are in the process of finalizing details in Guelph Ontario. (looking for a location) We are running classes at a local park, and through our karate club. I was able to get insurance through the co operators with the assurance that there would be a minimal increase to cover the location once it is found. I pay about 90 per month. 2 million liability for myself as well as CrossFit as co insured.

Whereabouts in Canada are you eh?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
David Muryn

Profile:

thanks for the help - I am in Lethbridge AB. Just submitted application for affiliation and trying to get a preliminary budget done.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
James Gordon

Profile:

Hey Michael,

Were there any concerns over the Olympic Lifting? I've heard that some companies won't touch you if they find out you are doing them. How did you describe CF to them?

FYI, I have just leased a space in Orillia and am trying to get set up as well, so I'm interested to hear how other people made out with insurance in Canada.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
David Muryn

Profile:

Hi all

I called Co operators here in L.A and they are getting back to me, will let you know what I find out.

We will be renting space so I wont really need property insurance at all. Where did you guys get your equipment from?

A few more hoops to jump through

Incorp, get insurance and get equipment - almost there!

Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
James Gordon

Profile:

David,

For sure let me know what happens with the insurance. As for equipment, I'm shopping around right now, but have heard very good things about "Again Faster" www.againfaster.com. They are in the US, and haven't shipped to Canada in the past, but they are looking into it now. Also, with the CAD $ at par, the US prices are looking pretty sweet!

Take care
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Michael Fall

Profile:

Hey Folks

We ordered our Olympic lifting equipment from Glenn Pendlay at Wichita Falls Weightlifting. http://store.wfwclub.com/index.html (FWS) It was a toss up between Glenn and Allison Foreman at York. Our Rings are from Tyler at www.Ringtraining.com (FWS) Other weights, parallettes, boxes, broomsticks etc have been scavenged or manufactured by us.

As for the Olympic Lifting. I was upfront with what we do. I described the Crossfit concept as honestly as I could. I did suggest that most of the over head lifting would remain in the 135 pound range with the balance being basic Gymnastics elements, and high intensity metabolic work. In fact, it was my insurance rep who said " you do basically what a martial arts studio does" I wasn't going to argue with her.

She also seemed satisfied with the fact that Crossfit certified its own people and didn't require any other training certs.

Hope this helps.

P.S there is a newish company out west manufacturing Kettleballs. http://canadiankettlebells.com/kettlebells.htm (FWS) They will be starting up a distributorship in Toronto in the middle of October. The Contact there is Chris.

Last edited by Michael Fall : 09-27-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
David Chow

Profile:

David,

If you get a reasonable insurance quote I be very interested on hearing where you got it from. I'm in the process of opening a CrossFit facility in Medicine Hat and we've got the space, some equipment and our affiliation essay is complete, all that is required is insurance.

We've ordered most of our equipment from the US such as our rowers, rings, iron woody bands, bumpers and bars. The rest of our equipment we've either scavenged, made ourselves or had others make them for us.

If you're ever in the Hat look us up and we'll do a WOD.

David Chow
580-7036
pddchow@shaw.ca
Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
David Muryn

Profile:

David- will do, I was born and raised in the Hat, great to see there will be a CrossFit location there. Dont get down there too much but if I do I will no doubt make a stop at your centre. Let me know when you are open.

As far as Insurance goes I finally heard back from a few different agents, one in particular seemed to have a clue what needs to be done with sports type insurance. I filled out an application and sent him a copy of our waiver form. Apparently it takes about two days to get a quote so I may not have anything back untill Monday. I will send you an email and let you know the details.

Mike - thanks for the info on insurance.

I spoke with Jon at againfaster, he will be able to ship to the Great White North, just costs more due to brokerage. There is another option as well, you can have items shipped to a border town and pick them up yourself and save brokerage fees.

Depending where the products are manufactured there may be no duty. Getting through customs is a bit of a pain but not too bad, I just imported a vehicle from Texas and the biggest pain was the wait at the border.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
David Muryn

Profile:

Everyone - just wanted to say thanks, this is a really unique model, where else does small business share ideas, resources and experience. Most small business I work with are very hesitant to share, this is excellent! Makes things go much smoother when you have a hundred mentors out there with the willingness and experience to give you some advice and direction!

Thanks!!!!