CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Playing with the % of BW in a pushup and electric scale

Roger Harrell did a quick test and came up with some numbers that were different.

I was testing mostly the top. I was playing around with the bottom but I didn't post those numbers. % were higher as Roger Harrell also came up with.

I tried putting a thick dowel over the scale but could not get a reading. A computer tower side panel worked though. I did manage to test a flared out elbow spacing and there wasn't any difference.

I'm envisioning testing gymnasts at 50 and 75 pounds of both genders and perhaps 100 ( more difficult to find ). I was hoping to test two other individuals of mesomorph and brachimorph as well as my friend who is 6' 245. Another is 5'10 165 and another 5'7 or 8 195. If another friend's wrist gets better he is about 5'10 135.

Kevin, I guess the pectoral would be getting different in the angles. I'm more curious to finding out the workload of headstand to handstand but I'm damn tired right now and all achy.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Derek Maffett

Profile:

You're 168?

I thought you were smaller than me. Anyways, I guess I could run some tests with the bathroom scale if you really want to investigate this.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
So I was bored and went to do a weigh in. 168 today. So I get the idea let's really calculate instead of guesstimate bodyweight in a pushup position.

Standard pushup position where the bottom is elbows to side shows 130 pounds.

Decline pushup at 30 shows 140 pounds. I put my feet on a newspaper on top of the dining table which is lower than the kitchen countertop.

I'll do Kitchen countertop and top of the shelf to hopefully try 45 and 60 degree angles later. Roomie wanted to weigh himself after his bike ride. Might as well do incline pushup at those angles as well.

So far that means elbows in pushup pushes 78% of BW.

30 degree decline pushup pushes 83%

I will guess 45 degree hits 85-87 and 60 degrees hits 90.

I tried to test wall pushups but couldn't come up with any data. I'm thinking the sensor needs to be horizontal for it to test.

I will also guess that a pushup with elbows flared out does 70-75%. However, I cannot test this as there is only so much space for my hand placement.

If anything that irks me about this all is when I see beginning to intermediate coaches demand to the deck pushups from 4 and 5 yo. That is preposterous to imagine a 50 pound kid bench pressing 35 pounds. Sounds like I should test knee pushup later as well. Many team coach ask this of their gymnasts and get bent of shape when they as well have poor ROM besides position shape. That means with a 70 pound girl we're asking them to push nearly 50 pounds! Imagine a pre-teen girl at 90 or teenager at 110 and asking them do this. How about a teenage boy at 150.

Since I did my fair share of bench pressing this really hits it home for me. I prefer heavy DB bench nowadays as it doesn't seem to irritate my mussed up shoulders. A BW+ bench at a globogym last fall when on a day pass to show my friend the basic lifts, really showed irritated it more than the weight being heavy. 185 BP wasn't very impressive for myself, when I used to do sets of 250 when I was peaking.

I'll update this after he get's done for ****s and giggles.
About those last few paragraphs, something doesn't add up. I can barely bench 140 for a set of 5 (my bench and press suck big time) at a bodyweight of 165 or so. But I can do 30-ish pushups. There's no way I'm pushing 140 lbs (or even close) when doing pushups. I'd guess under 100 easy, probably closer to half my bodyweight.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I am not sure the motion of a pushup = the movement of a bench press. This could also be neurological efficiency here. You simply could be more efficient in recruiting muscular motor control units.

I know my bench has gone up when I used to bench more often in workouts ( years ago ).

It could also depend on what type of pushup you are doing and what type of bench and form.

This is probably somewhat similar to a HSPU vs Shoulder press relation.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Matt,

you'd have to measure you push up weight and see. If you are leg heavy, the percentage would be much lower. Measure it and let us know what it is.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

That's what starts getting real tricky is with this differences in muscle mass situated on different body types. I have a lot of mass in my shoulders and back and legs with long limbs. Roger has a lot in his upper body with not so much comparatively in his legs. It differs and differs and differs.

Testing over a broad spectrum is a good idea like 6 foot male and females at 250 and 160 as well as munchkins at 45 pounds, adolescents at 80 and teens at 155 and 110. Female optional/elite level gymnasts are going to be proportionally similar in the upper and lower body compared to male gymnasts.

Testing a guy like Speal vs Eddie Lugo could be drastically different. No idea about their body types. I am quite sure Eva/Kelly (? KB lady ) and Nicole/Annie would be not similar either.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

3, 2, 1, GO THREAD RESURRECTION!!!

Wow, I wish I had searched for this earlier. The terms I used were "pushup percentage" and this was the first thread and exactly the thread I was looking for.

I did the 10x10 WOD (dead lifts/push ups) yesterday and wanted to see what percentage weight increase it was for me to do it with full push ups versus the last time, when I did knee push ups. I figured the bottom would be the most accurate. Actually, at the bottom, it's significantly more weight than just bottom at rest, since I was doing them very quickly, so I did have to slow the acceleration at the hardest part of the lift.

I weigh 143 lbs and am 5'4". The numbers were roughly 82 lbs on knees and 107 lbs on toes. I recommend that if you're going to do this experiment, do NOT do it when your pecs are already on fire. Holding a narrow stance plank at the bottom for however long it takes for the #$%^ing scale to finish computing was slightly less than pleasant. Oh, and you have to do it without shaking, or else you have to do it again. So for me, it was a 30% increase in weight.

I figured I'd throw my data into the pile and validate what you already found with a very different body type. So even though we are built VERY differently, it's only a 7% difference between our percentages.