CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Ben Dengerink

Profile:
Re: Developing the pull-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
1) How long have you been going at it? How often do you do the WOD and how much time do you spend on pull-up progressions? You might very well just need some rest. What, for example, has the past week been like in pull-up terms?
I have been xfitting for 6 weeks 5-6 days per week with the brandx scaled workouts, and some great results so far (as everyone says, I really am loving crossfit), and in that, doing 3X10 jumping pull-ups with the warmup, unless the WOD calls for pull-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post
Honestly the biggest reason for me that I got pullups was not being fat. If you are lacking in upper body strength there is a good chance that you have ample belly fat.
True, this would no doubt help; I am 6'3" 235lb, 17%bf

Thanks to everyone for the great input. I will put some of this into practice and re-post here when I finally get one.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

If you are doing jumping pullups or negatives, you might want to vary your grip to avoid overuse of one part of your arm, i.e. elbow. Try switching alternate days or sets from pronated, to supinated. I agree that you might not want to do strenuous pullups every warm-up. Skip them entirely if you feel joint or tendon pain.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
Ben Dengerink

Profile:

I love all the advice here, and I plan to implement some of it soon.

I'd still like to hear if anyone has some sort of prescriptive plan for this sort of development. Come on guys, don't be stingy...
Old 05-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dengerink View Post
I love all the advice here, and I plan to implement some of it soon.

I'd still like to hear if anyone has some sort of prescriptive plan for this sort of development. Come on guys, don't be stingy...
Use that nice shiny search button up at the top right side.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #15
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Open source development advocates posting some code, any code, often better if it's poor code... to stimulate the know-it-alls to jump in and correct someone else's godawful mess. In that spirit I'll give you a prescription. Assuming a 6'3" 235lb male who cannot yet do a complete pull-up.

I'll give you 2 workouts, try them and report back.

Workout 1: Body Rows & Knees-to-Chest

3 rounds, 12-9-6
-- body rows,
-- knees-to-chest,
For time.

For body rows, use either rings, or a bar suspended about 30-36" high, or a table. The Smith machine can be useful here. For knees-to-chest, you're hanging from a normal pull-up bar (though a dip support position using whatever is also feasible).

Workout 2: Add-5-seconds ladder of swings and L-sits

Start at 5 seconds of L-sit and 5 seconds of swinging. You can drop and re-grip between exercises or between rounds; maximum 10 seconds rest between rounds.

Each round adds 5 seconds to the previous round (2nd round, you hang in an L-sit for 10 seconds; then swing for 10 seconds... 3rd round is 15 seconds of each...)

Report number of rounds completed.

SWINGING: towards a kip, not gymnastic high bar swing. You form your body into the shape of parentheses ( ) by extending the belly-button forward while the soles of your feet stay back, then curving the opposite direction with shoelaces forward and back rounded. Amplitude is what youre aiming for, while keeping the feet in the center of the swing.

Grip: remember you can switch between grips; overhand, underhand, and mixed.

Everyday, background GTG, jumping-pull-up work: Put a chair or jump box below your pull-up bar. Grease the groove with jumping pull-ups, descending slowly (emphasizing the negative). Aim for 5-7 sets of ~5 reps each over the course of the day.

Last edited by Kirez Reynolds : 05-03-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #16
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

I have been doing pull up ladders as part of the 12 week enter the kettlebell program. Pavel calls for strict pull ups. With y'day's 75 PU's I probably kipped about 10 of them, but I digress.....

One day last week, as I was digging in for a couple more reps, I inadvertantly flexed my core (abs, glutes, rib cage) at the bottom of the PU, just as I was getting ready to pull. I streaked to the top. Now this is not likely news to a lot of CF old timers, but was a real epiphany to me. As Dan John says, " the body is a unit".

For perspective, I am in week 5 of the clean and press/pull up ladders. 4 weeks ago, 75 strict pull ups spread over a 30 minute workout? No Way.

Also helps that at 5'7" I've gone from 199 to 176 in the last 14 weeks. Zone.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #17
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirez Reynolds View Post
Workout 2: Add-5-seconds ladder of swings and L-sits

Start at 5 seconds of L-sit and 5 seconds of swinging. You can drop and re-grip between exercises or between rounds; maximum 10 seconds rest between rounds.

Each round adds 5 seconds to the previous round (2nd round, you hang in an L-sit for 10 seconds; then swing for 10 seconds... 3rd round is 15 seconds of each...)

Report number of rounds completed.
My wife amended this as follows: between rounds, rest 5 seconds, then 10 seconds, then 15 seconds, etc.

Then we tried it, and I don't like that workout. Maybe the bar I was trying it on was a problem --- I kept slipping off. The 1st workout took me 2:20 including slipping off a few times and putting gloves on to try to fix that problem.

Anyway, I want to change Workout 2. Here's a new version:

L-swing-jump
5 rounds of:
  • 5 L-sits
  • 10 swings
  • 15 jumping pull-ups
For time.