CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Sprinting.

Hi there.

I don't know where this should go, but it's just something I wanted to share so I guess it's kindof a testimonial. I don't follow the WOD's yet (shoulder injury that never heals!!), but I've seen some of them include some 400 or 800 meter running so you all must know what I'm going to say. For the past few weeks I've been doing mostly lower body exercises, because of the shoulder injury.. so I reckon all those muscles I've been targeting in my legs and core, would be by now adapted to the workload....

Anyways, I got my Vibram FiveFinger shoes (recommended by Patrick Donnelly) on saturday and I decided to go out and sprint. I had not done it in a long while, and I'm slow. I stretched and warmed up for a while, and did about 5 sprints.. don't know about the distance, but it was taking me 17 seconds or so to complete it. I was trying to run POSE of course. It was very tiresome, by the fifth attempt I already noticed how hard it was to keep going fast until the finish line (a tree).. and felt very slow.

Anyways, my point is, despite working out the legs through various exercises in the past few weeks (glute ham situps, hip extensions, air squats, one-leg box-squats, ab work, some light rope jump, etc) .... I am, two days later, still unable to walk right. This is some unbelievable sorness!!! I love it!! But I hate it, because I might not be able to do my planned workout for today... should one not workout sore muscles even if yesterday (sunday) was complete rest? ... Even my obliques are kinda sore. But the legs, front and back, calves, and FEET muscles.. are so sore!! I have a new respect for sprinting and will definitely do some sprints at least once a week, it's fun, it's outdoors, it takes little time and it's a hell of a workout. Plus, I went with my wife and son (1 year old) and he seemed to really like walking/playing on grass.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Sprinting.

Your feet, calves, etc. will be sore and fatigued and might even cramp the first few times using Vibram Five Fingers, Nike Frees, etc. You'll get used to it, and you'll be a better athlete for it.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I wouldn't do today's WOD you had planned, but rather some skill work and a very light metcon to get the blood flowing through your lower extremeties. You're much better off still exercising today rather than doing nothing, because your body will hate you tomorrow.

Also, take a nice 15 min. contrast shower.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Are you the person who has a Sprinting Technique Drills on youtube, under the username "BrianDegennaro08" (with two letter N's ?). If so, I gotta tell you I took notes from that video, and about a month ago I went to that park again, and I did those drills.. my wife was laughing HARD watching me make those crazy hops. Luckily there weren't much people looking, because even I have to admit, those drills are funny to look at. I didn't sprint after that because I realized I didn't have the right shoes, but now I do and I'll sprint 1x a week for sure. I didn't do the drills on saturday though, should I ??

I will do some streching and light workout to get some bloodflow, but nothing hard, thanks for the suggestion. The soreness is devastating.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Wade Smith

Profile:

I need to check those drills on YouTube. I just got roped into representing my school (I'm an Elem. Teacher) on a 400m relay. Basically I run 100m on a team of 4 people. No big deal from a metcon standpoint: Easy. HUGE deal from a "haven't run since straining knee tendon in September" issue. I've got a month to train and I don't want to injure myself.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

Same person; the boards here just didn't happen to register the second 'n'. I always practice my drills prior to practices just so my body knows what to do in a sense. It's the same reasons why you practice o-lifting drills prior to lifting, so your refresh your muscles.

Oh and a lil tip that I completely forgot to mention (and something that i need to correct in the vid) in that youtube vid was a "quick recovery" with each foot strike. What that means is very similar to POSE and "pulling" your foot every time it strikes the ground. What you don't want to do in sprinting is to triple extend and then "curl" your leg back up behind you. Instead you want to bring it right back up in front of you. The reason being is by performing knee flexion and then hip flexion you're wasting energy because you can kill two birds with one stone by using a quick recovery with the foot strike (this also provides more drive forward by performing both simultaneously), and secondly you might actually transfer force downward instead of forward by curling the knee up.

If you have any more questions about sprinting you can e-mail or PM me.