CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Scott Robertson

Profile:
Does milk make it easier?

I have read alot of people complaining about the need to measure everything on the zone. I have also seen many suggested recipes/ recommended meals which try to provide people with zone meals that are easy to create. I rarely see milk mentionned in any of these.

For those who are not lactose intolerant, milk would seem to be a natural way to use up the blocks. It consists of one block each of protein, carb and fat without any prepration or measuring required.

So, my question is:

Is there a disadvantage to using milk as a staple for certain meals, or maybe every meal? i.e. a 5 block breakfast - is there anything wrong with consuming 2-3 cups of milk to make up 2-3 blocks of protein, carbs and fat and having eggs, ham, protein powder, fruit, toast, nuts, oil whatever for the remaining blocks.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Re: Does milk make it easier?

It's not the end of the world, but lactose is sugar and lactose is also believed to negatively affect cardio/stamina.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

Chocolate Milk makes a good Post WO snack for me, and when I'm having trouble getting my numbers for, say, a 2-block snack, I'll just have 2 cups of milk (it's quick and easy), but you don't want excess milk in you on a running day. I don't have any math at my fingertips, but dairy before a run was a no-no in cross country... and I think it had something to do with frequent visits from Pukie.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I think you answered your own question, milk is the perfect meal, especially for a growing baby...and since it's all in one it is the most convenient and therefore does make it easy or quick.

I find it very comforting to the soul that the food that babies of all kinds eat is a zone perfect food.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Jennifer Higgins

Profile:

Well, the perfect version of milk- ala babies -is a living fluid full of good fats, enzymes that digest the lactose and other hard to get nutrients like CLA. Pasteurized milk from animals fed grain doesn't have any of that stuff. In CA you can get excellent raw milk, not sure about Canada. I totally agree that theoretically milk can be fantastic but sometimes it can be crap.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I try to limit my dairy consumption but agree that it can be a great substitute on days where I either wouldn't have time to make anything more complicated, or for weight gain on my Starting Strength routine.

Consuming too much can cause a few problems, as have been mentioned already. It's great for calcium, but in truth you can get that from many other sources as well. The other thing: constipation. If milk becomes a major staple of your diet, and you're not eating balanced enough otherwise (fiber fiber fiber), then expect a long hard haul with this beast.

Other than that, Paleo advocates will argue that humans aren't designed to process milk past weening. That may be true, but nutrients are nutrients (sort of), and it is pretty well balanced for the Zone, so provided that you're doing everything else right, I don't think it will kill you to occasionally sub it in.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Scott Robertson

Profile:

Thank you for the input. I had always assumed that milk could do no wrong and the more i had in a day the better. I currently average over 1 litre a day. Most for breakfast and snacks. I will have to think twice before taking the easy road and start preparing other proteins and carbs like everyone else.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Daniel Watts

Profile:

I'm drinking a gallon of whole milk a day for the Starting Strength program and am loving it. I was having a little trouble digesting it even though I'm not lactose intolerant (except for the amount that everyone is) so I started taking a product called "Digestive Advantage: Lactose Intolerance Therapy". Hopefully thats ok for normal people. Does anyone know if you have to worry about kidney stones with that much calcium?

See ya,

Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Here is a direct quote but Mark Rippetoe, the author of Starting Strength, that he posted on his own forum in a similar thread.

"I am not a urologist. But I have never had a young man on my program develop kidney stones. Never."

Last edited by Jonathan Greene : 01-29-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Daniel Watts

Profile:

Well thats a little reassuring, hopefully I'm not the first.