CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-25-2004, 09:30 PM   #21
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Hope my post wasn't interpreted to mean work on weak areas instead of the WOD. There is always at least one weak area in the WOD for me. That's what I was getting at, just sticking with the WOD will bring up the weak areas.

Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 08-26-2004, 12:40 AM   #22
AARON FISHER

Profile:  
I'm going to put Crossfit to the test! I have been doing crossfit now since Feb 04 and feel stronger and more of an all rounded athlete than ever. My background is in triathlon, however due to an injury, and a deployment to the Gulf I have focussed soley on Crossfit since April 04.
Yesterday I entered the Loch Ness Marathon in Scotland which is to be held on Oct 3. I began doing extra CV on Sunday of this week giving me a 6 week lead time as per the recommendations from the Coach for specific events. Runners would not generally consider entering a marathon with only 6 weeks of dedicated running training, but I have confidence in the system! I plan on doing Crossfit as normal and adding several runs for the specifity.

I dont think you need a specific endurance Crossfit, or a strength crossfit. The system as it stands is awesome! From the endurance point of view I hope to support this viewpoint.

PS I may miss the WOD the day after the marathon!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:33 AM   #23
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Okay because you are doing a marathon we will give you a break but just this once. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your test of CF.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:19 AM   #24
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Aaron, welcome aboard! I'm anxious to hear the results too!
I just wanted to say I love Scotland. I lived in Dunoon and worked in Holy Loch in 1980-81. I loved every minute of it. I wish I had more time to explore the countryside there, but work was priority. What little I did see was truly spectacular.
Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #25
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Whoa . . . this thread took off - I leave you guys alone for 1 day with a few random thoughts, and this is what happens!

I am glad to get everyone's input (especially the coaches/mods). Being new to CF (begining of July) I am still learning a lot.

I do CF in addition to my Martial Art training, but I find at times one traing module suffers when I do both to close to each other. I have limited time for training, and I also fell like there are areas that I would like to work on more than others.

I don't propose a sacrifice the CF methodology for specialized training - that would undermine the entire process. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have some superior guidance when pursuing a more focused goal. Or specialized training that would work in conjunction with CF, to the best benefit.

I can always ask for guidance as I go, this forum is great for that, but it would be nice to have a program laid ahead of time. I have to agree with Mike and Brad - if the 'council' tells me to do something, I am going to do it. I am afraid that if I begin to deviate too much on my own, I could be inhibiting my GPP and training and not even knowing it.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #26
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Jeremy,
In trying to mix the WOD with other training especially something as intense as Martial Art training I think varying the intensity is the key. On a day when you need to do both just don't go quite as hard on the WOD, or lower the weights or reps to the point where it is still a good effort, but doesn't leave you laying on the floor. Or if you really hit the WOD hard, try to take it a little easier on the MA training that day.
Also, diet plays a huge role in recovery. So I would really pay attention to what you are eating too. I know one of the guys I train has told me he really notices the difference when he lets his diet slip.
Hope this helps,
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 08-26-2004, 03:19 PM   #27
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Yeah, my diet is lacking - But I do eat good when I can.

I have a pretty wild schedule that doesn't allow me to do well with meal planning. I just have to eat what I can when I can.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #28
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jeremy-

I guess it was two years ago that I started really participating on the board and doing the WOD. At that time I was not able to do the WOD as prescribed and I frequently had to take a day off due to soreness and fatigue. I was starting to wonder if I would be able to continue training BJJ and capoeira as I frequently had to dial back the intensity on these activities as well.

At this time Frank Olis (where is that guy?) described doing the WOD 4-5 days per week, three days per week of BJJ and two days of stand up training in addition to some work with things like knives and trenching tools (do not try to mug this guy). I was STUNNED. I could not imagine doing that volume of work. At the time it seemed it would kill me, but after about six months I was performing all the WOD's as prescribed and eventually was doing a 3-on-1-off schedule while teaching capoeira ~15hrs per week and doing a bit of BJJ. It takes time but ones work capacity WILL improve significantly.

Barry-

I'm not sure how typical my results are but I got the cross and ~300C&J doing just CrossFit. I think there is much potential here.
Robb
Old 08-26-2004, 05:33 PM   #29
Matt McManmon

Profile:

The potential of crossfit is truly amazing. The fact that a GPP program can raise somany modalities of exercise to such formidable levels is baffling. I believe that even crossfits current best athletes have only scratched the surface of the fitness they can ultimately achieve. For example, on the crossfit DVD Matt Mast destroys Diane. I have no idea when that was taped, but im sure by now he can probally blow through that workout in the quickest time humanly possible. Which opens up the possibility of Diane +20,+40, ect. Can you imagine someone blowing through a pumped up Diane of 21-15-9 DL 265, HSPU with a weighted vest.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:42 AM   #30
Barry Cooper

Profile:
When I reframe GPP as "life force" in my brain, it makes more sense to me. I remember reading somewhere about how Navy SEALS recuperate much more quickly than average people from any type of injury (I know as well there are people here who can comment on that). I've also read stories of survival that only make sense with the postulation of some sort of "elan vital" (Touching the Void, Bravo Two Zero, Ernest Shackleton, etc.)

It seems with respect to specific skills, I read over and over how people are incorporating specific skill elements into supplemental practice. It seems like the basic model is "CrossFit WOD+x".

In any event, I'm rethinking things.