CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-14-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Yesterday afternoon I went running the hills in the woods behind my house. The temp was 97f, 115 heat index, and very humid. The canopy of the forest stopped any possible breezes. I was sweating like crazy, and I couldn't run as hard or as long as usual. I don't mind the heat but it does seem to make things more difficult.
My question is: Is there any physiological benefit to working out in the heat as opposed to working out in the coolness of my basement where my weights and stuff are? I ended up shortening my run and returned to the basement and doing Tabata squats, situps, plyo box work, and a few bears (no I said bears, not beers).
Old 07-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Working out in the heat will cause you to acclimatize to it...

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/heataccl/heataccl.html

But you'll certainly be limited in total work by heat issues, vice working out in a cool space.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

In Utah, I have the extremes...110+ in my garage gym and deadly sunny in the field where I do most of the training at the Murray Institute for Lifelong Fitness and in the winter...snow on the ground, below freezing each and every workout...in my gym.

I would guess I like the heat better, but I notice my workouts take longer. A couple of things that I do for heat:

One: my wife bought me a new outdoor shower as the old one got broke. ("Got broke" is very common in our training facility). It hooks up to the hose and is a "Tahitian Shower." I use this at least twice a day for hygeine, but we also often use this during training. I haven't done this idea this year, but in the past, I have trained in my speedo (this psycho green striped one that I wear under my kilt in Highland Games...always raises questions) and showered every few sets. On a hot day at the MILF, we are talking serious hot. The gym record is 120...only because the thermometer only goes to 120.

Two: Obviously, the little things: drink water, take your minerals. But, here is another idea...don't use machines or benches...you slide off of them, so follow the WOD and don't use anything that supports as it will make you sweat more.

Three: I always think that the heavy sweating is good for me...maybe it is, maybe it isn't...so, I get into a whole 1970's California concept: you know, I drink water with lemon juice, sip hot tea...there is a nice "liver cleanse" tea at the grocery store...and give my skin a nice rub after. Sounds odd, but I seem to feel better after.

Just a few ideas.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 AM   #4
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Great article Mike, so in a nutshell, it's just a matter of acclimatization. I just ahve to get used to it, and there may be some benefits to the heat.
I guess I should just stay in keeping with the Crossfit philosophy, and mix it up. Workout in the heat and cool.
Dan, There is a spring fed creek I can lay down in to cool off, great idea. I like all your suggestions but one.
If the people I know around here catch me running around the woods in nothing but a speedo, I'd be hanging from a tree in no time.:biggrin:
Old 07-14-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but IIRC not only is it possible to acclimatize yourself to either heat or cold, it is possible to acclimatize to both at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive.