CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Austin Rogers

Profile:
Cats: What are they supposed to eat?

I have a cat and want him to be healthy

What are cats supposed to eat? Would he survive on a raw chicken meat diet perhaps with some fish oil thrown in?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Cats: What are they supposed to eat?

Taurine. Cats cannot produce their own taurine they have to get it from what they eat, and it is essential in their diet.

I hate cats (sorry) but this I do know. (wfs): http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/108/5/773

Link to article on why taurine is essential for cats.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Don't know about cats, but my two 6 yr. old Boxers only eat raw food, and they are thriving. Fit, lean, and never seen a vet except for shots.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
Don't know about cats, but my two 6 yr. old Boxers only eat raw food, and they are thriving. Fit, lean, and never seen a vet except for shots.
Kevin what do you feed them? I generally feed my dog raw chicken and other meats and she's healthy as can be. It's amazing how the first ingredient in 99% of commercial dog food is corn.... dogs aren't suppose to eat corn. When was the last time anyone heard of a pack of dogs eating up a corn field? It doesn't happen, because they are meat eaters.

Glad to see someone else feeds their pet a natural diet!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Austin Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Taurine. Cats cannot produce their own taurine they have to get it from what they eat, and it is essential in their diet.

I hate cats (sorry) but this I do know. (wfs): http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/108/5/773

Link to article on why taurine is essential for cats.
Thanks.

Why do you hate cats?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

I have lived by this quote, I don't remember who said it "Dogs treat you like their leader. Cats treat you like their mother."

I haven't met a cat that acted outside of that. Hate is a strong word, I guess I should have said I dislike cats.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Scott;

We get chicken carcasses from a local butcher. We started with backs and necks, but now we get what look to be whole chickens with the legs and breasts removed. Raw beef bones are a delicacy, and we avoid the smoked ones that you pay too much for at pet stores. Funny thing, but we pay about .70 cents per pound for raw chicken, whereas a "premium" dry food costs around $1.50 per pound. Its Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, where we live, so they'll get a huge raw turkey neck also. We also give them the organ meat that the butcher discards. I think its called Offal, but I'n not sure. We pay around .40 cents for it.

George...I heard someone say that when you treat your dogs well, they think you must be God. When you treat your cat well, the think they must be God.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Dogs are omnivorous but mostly eat meat. My dog eats chicken backs and thrives and when I'm not being lazy, I make up some veggie slop and include a few spoons of that in her meal.

Cats are pure carnivores. Neither animal should eat grains with any regularity.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Michael Leach

Profile:

Another raw-feeder here. When i switched to paleo earlier this year, i switched our dogs over to raw-feeding. We've got 2 dobies, and a puggle. Their diet is primarily chicken backs and chicken necks and any other cuts of meat/bones that i can get relatively cheap. They're doing great. The only inconvenience is trying to keep enough 'dog food' on hand; only a couple of the grocery stores around here sell chicken necks/backs and they only ever stock a few packs at a time. I go to a grocery store(s) every couple days.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Cats need to eat primarily protein diets. Dogs are OK with slipping carbs in there--that's why you can feed dogs rice-and-chicken to help 'em with diarrhea--but for cats carbs are a no-no. And most dry cat foods are carbs. You should put them on a raw food diet, but if you want to make your own you'll need to get plenty of vitamin supplements, as just feeding them meat alone won't be enough. They have specific nutritional needs that make creating raw cat food much trickier than raw dog food. Googling "cat raw food diet" or "make raw cat food" will find you plenty of links on the subject.

I personally prefer to just buy my raw cat food. Right now I'm using Primal brand, though there are other good brands out there. I feed them that at night and for their morning meal I use Innova EVO, a very high-protein dry cat food (it has 50% protein as opposed to the norm of 32% in most dry cat foods). It's pretty amazing the difference the diet has made. They're more playful, they've lost weight, their fur is softer, and they poop a good deal less.