CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #21
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Re: PT says no more Squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Brown View Post
but please be careful with chiropractors. Especially if they recommend prolonged treatment.
I must agree here. It doesn't take three visits a week for six weeks to fix any of your problems. I am only an intern, and have not seen any severe cases, but if I've worked on the right areas, improvement is seen after that first visit by way of functional tests, and often in 3-4 visits I can be 90% complete with my part of the case. Proper compliance by the patient with the exercises and stretches I prescribe and we're good to go. If the chiro speaks to you of the "danger of subluxation" or anything similar, find someone else.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #22
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Sorry, I was out of town for a while and so I havent been able to check the post. Thanks for all the info. I'm researching chiro's in the Louisville area now, though I will probably be moving to the charlotte area within a month or so. I'll keep you all updated on progress...I wont know what to do without back pain after 2 years of it.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Well after getting rid of mine after two years I can tell you, you adjust! Its wonderful, I no longer feel like the clocks ticking and its all downhill! :-)
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #24
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Add to what Jay said, I would go see a really good Rolfer as well. No matter how you feel about chiro, I hold the belief that if you don't get the muscles in alignment as well the chiro 'fixes' aren't going to help.

And get a good coach too... maybe you do something really subtle in your squats that you need to change.

Karin
Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #25
Jim Devlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Brown View Post
My 2 cents. Okay, maybe 2 1/2.

.... As a PT I can tell you that there is a lot of misinformation about squatting in our community.
Kelly,
Thanks for giving us your point of view. The December 2002 had an article on air squats "Dec 2002 - Squat Clinic". Do you have any concerns about the suggestions given in that article?
Jim
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #26
Rob Marrison

Profile:

Hi all, I too have a disk problem - been out of all weighted and flexion training for 9 months now. Which sucks.

I've been following back pain threads looking for answers for a while and thought i'd put in my own 2 cents.

I haven't heard "MacKenzie Method" or Robin MacKenzie mentioned on any of the threads so far, but I so far I swear by it. I've been to two PTs so far. The first thought it was joint issues and manipulated be with mixed results - sometimes pain. The second is into MacKenzie, which seems to be working.

Watered down, the theory is that we put our spine in flexion too often and this stretches the ligaments that hold in the **** at the same time as compressing the disk on its forward edge. MacKenzie recommends regular back bends to put one's spine in extreme extention in combination with never placing one's spine in flexion untill the disk has healed. At which time you can slowly and gently move into flexion and work through the scar tissue.

My PT gave me a lumbar roll to use at all times when sitting. Between that and the back bends my pain very quickly left my heel and traveled back up my leg, into my spine and then disappeared. Now so long as I watch my posture I'm pain free.

We are now working on getting me back into flexion and compression exercises slowly and carefully. Its been a long and depressing ride, but I've learned a lot. The next step is to develop apsolutely perfect form for squats and deadlift. No more butt winks etc.

I think people who are into Crossfit need to ask themselves if competition and personal bests are so important as to allow less than perfect technique. I have seen lots of problems in the videos and I know that on a long enough time line that will equate with unnecessary injury.

Anyway, consider reading Robin MacKenzie's "Treat Your Own Back," purported to work for 80% of back pain sufferers - works for me - and much cheaper than PT,s, Chiro's, etc.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #27
Steve Baum

Profile:

I would suggest finding a Level II or higher CHEK Practitioner to assess your lumbar curve and muscle length/tension relationships. If you have too much or too little pelvic tilt with no external resistance it will only be magnified when you add weight and perform dynamic movement patterns. They could also help identify isolated muscle weaknesses that are contributing to postural distortions. Once the imbalances are identified a good corrective exercise program should solve the problem. You may have to descend the squat pattern for a while before progressing back to regular squats. Another possibility is digestive dysfunction. If you have any digestive issues or food intolerance issues your "core" muscles may not be functioning properly. This is fairly common. Irritation in the gut shuts down the muscles and leaves you with spinal instability.
Look me up if you come through St. Louis and I'll help. I can also help you find someone in your area if you are interested.

Steve
Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #28
Kelly Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Marrison View Post
I haven't heard "MacKenzie Method" or Robin MacKenzie mentioned on any of the threads so far, but I so far I swear by it. I've been to two PTs so far. The first thought it was joint issues and manipulated be with mixed results - sometimes pain. The second is into MacKenzie, which seems to be working.
Okay... I have offer a word of caution here. The MacKenzie method can be very effective in treating some back injuries, but in some cases it is the opposite of what is needed. MacKenzie, like many great innovators in our field, sends a message that these techniques can work for anyone. It really depends on what the pathology is (i.e. disc, facet, soft tissue) I am seriously not trying to just plug my profession, but I think it is very dangerous to prescribe rehabiliative exercises without first knowing what the problem is. For example, if a person has spondylolysthesis, aggressive extension could make the problem significantly worse, like neurological damage kind of worse. So I am going to go ahead and put in 4 cents on this one. If you have had an injury and found a technique that works for you, great! Share, so others can ask their health professional about it. But if you have a back injury (or any injury for that matter) that has not been evaluated and diagnosed by a trained medical professional, please do not try to self-treat. The possible consequences are not worth the savings in cash. Enough said.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
Kelly Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Devlin View Post
Kelly,
Thanks for giving us your point of view. The December 2002 had an article on air squats "Dec 2002 - Squat Clinic". Do you have any concerns about the suggestions given in that article?
Jim
I have not read this yet, but I will and get back to you.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #30
Kelly Brown

Profile:

Okay.. I just re-read the Squat Clinic article.
No, I dont have any problems with it. In fact, I think its pretty spot-on. Its one of the concepts that brought me over the fence from rehab mindset into the Crossfit world. There is a little inconsistency in the chart on the last page regarding faults and remedies with the adductor/abductor explanation, but the error is in the language not the concept. Thanks for asking