CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Bob Hatfield

Profile:
Hello all. I've been doing scaled down versions of the WOD's (mostly from http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16 - thanks Jeff, tremendous help) for a little over two weeks now. Yesterday's scaled down WOD (dl,400m,situps) about killed me. :-)

I'm 40, 25%(?) BF (Zone), 3 young sons, engineering consultant, and am in so-so shape. My goals are to be there and strong for my sons for years to come.

I started out pretty motivated, and even had my wife joining in -- I really believe in this method and am extremely impressed with the caliber of material provided... but yesterdays WOD really showed me how out of shape I’ve become.

Question: Do you trainers have any success stories from people that started about where I am? Are there any people reading this that were like me a year ago? Just looking for some motivation.

Thanks all for this site and the information provided,

-Bob
Old 03-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Great question. I am curious to hear myself.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:51 AM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Bob and Kevin, I am certain some of the trainers will chime in soon but in the meantime, check out the testimonials section. Many amazing transformations from people that started out in a whole lot worse shape.

BTW that WOD was a smoker that would be particularly difficult for people carrying extra wait. Remember that CF will highlight your weaknesses. This is a good thing - you can't improve them till you know about em.

Keep it up guys, you are on the right path.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Bob,
Brand X is filled with people like you. I have one women who was so overweight and out of shape when she started she couldn't pick a pencil up off the floor she had dropped. She's lost 75#'s, can do 25 pull ups, and is now one of our trainers. We have at least 5 other people who have lost close to 50#'s.
There is a thread on our forum called "Testimonials for CrossFit" it has some great success stories.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Shaun Williamson

Profile:
Hey Bob,

I started scaled down versions of the Crossfit WOD's on March 6th (I've also devised some bodyweight versions on my own as I don't have access to weights at the moment).

I'm 41 and I weighed 207 pounds and was at around 24% BF. I'm a very athletic person generally..Judo/BJJ,etc..however I had an injury that's kept me out of training for over a year (Torn groin & Shoulder..ouch!)so I've been a couch potato.
Anyway, since doing Crossfit I'm down to 195 pounds and I'm at 21% BF! I just follow along as best I can, and make progress every week.

You couldn't have found a better fitness program & community to keep you motivated than CF...you're on the right path for sure!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Bob, I started out so unfit that I couldn't do a burpee and could barely run around Brand X one time (400M). In 18 months I have gone from doing the puppy scaled workouts at BX to doing the Pack workouts in the first year and recently started mixing in more of the Big Dog workouts. Jeff posts weights for women scaled to about 70-80 percent of the RX'd weights on the WOD. In the last week or so I did two posted as women's Big Dog and 1 I did RX'd as posted on CF WOD!!!

w00t! It works. Keep at it. It seems like about a year for most people to get anywhere near the RX'd workouts.

Oh yeah, I did my first pullup at the age of 39 and now I can do workouts with all kipping pull ups.

(I see this is a Question for Trainers and I am proud to say I am a certified trainer - 1 cert -and finally have two volunteer/victims at work. )

(Message edited by Laurar on March 17, 2006)
Old 03-18-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
I'm 49, started about 7 weeks ago, 5'7", starting wt 185.

I did wednesday's WOD in 29 minutes! I had to sub 30 regular situps for the ghd's but still I was thrilled. What really surprised was that my runs (treadmill) got stronger (faster) each round.

I weigh myself once a month. At the end of 5 weeks I had lost 6.5 lbs. But weight is irrelavant. I look and feel soooo much better. My pants are loose, I need to punch a n ew hole in my belt, and my jackets struggle to get over chest and upper arm..all in 7 weeks!

Do this..take a full picture of yourself. You won't believe it when you look at this pic in 3 months.

I didn't get a "before" pic, and wish I had done so.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Bob Hatfield

Profile:
Thanks all. I took your advice.

This is really an amazing program with a great group of people.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Dan Colson

Profile:
You found the right place, If you want to get better you will. I have success story after success story, One guy for instance came to me about 275, 4 months later slowly getting into the Zone dropped about 50 lbs, and is one of my toughest CFers, and he hates this stuff. I think you just need to focus on your improvements from workout to workout. You are engaged in the most demanding and EFFECTIVE training system on the planet. It's not easy but when you look back after a few months you will be blown away at what you are doing. I have tons of successes like this, you just have to worry about your times and getting to the point where all of a sudden you don't need to modify the exercises pretty soon your looking at dropping Fran from 10 minutes to 8 to 6. It happens it will take time. I also try to make sure everyone knows it won't be easy, that way you make a conscious decision to improve and persevere. You guys are doing just fine. CrossFit will never stop gut checking you, thats why it works.

(Message edited by dan_colson on March 19, 2006)