CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: College Life Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If you want to run a business -- like a CF affiliate -- there's something to be said for actual business knowledge. Passion is great, but it's not enough to pay the bills.

The words on your degree aren't as limiting as you might think, either. Academia is all about credentials, but the real world is much more interested in results.

I'd suggest staying on the business track, but taking as many electives as you can toward the dietetics degree and seeking out an internship or similar position at a CF affiliate. Get an idea what you would be signing up for before you actually make an irreversible commitment.

Katherine
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
there is no right or wrong here. your degree does not determine what industry you work in. you can work in just about any industry you want with a business degree. do you honestly think that marketing and business are not useful for owning your own personal training business or CF box? do you think that a company like rogue needs people with business knowledge? point is that a business degree will be more useful across a broad spectrum than a nutrition or exercise degree. just because you have a business degree doesn't mean you have to work on wall street
And this.

I graduated from college this past May and I was in the exact same position as you when I was a junior. Spent alot of time reading up about nutrition and fitness, telling people about it, etc, and wanted to do something in it. After talking with my parents about it, they convinced me to finish my degree in Finance. Although I just started working about five weeks ago as a credit analyst at a bank, I already see the value in my degree. If I ever decide to pursue something in the fitness/nutrition area, I know that my background will serve me well. Listen to what has been suggested.

I vote to continue with your degree, you will be surprised how many more doors it will open as opposed to getting a degree in nutrition.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Find the career that pays the most while giving you as much free time as possible to pursue the things you really love.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Mark Davis

Profile:

edit. Good luck with your decision my man!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Darby Lee Darrow

Profile:

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Confucius

That job may be in your degree field, or not.

My vote is finish your degree, because you are so close. Then look into your next step. That will cost you another year, but in the big picture that is a small price.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #15
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Similar issues here. I studied computer science. Enjoyed it but didn't want to do it full-time and suffer from myopia. Did a little freelance work, went to law school, again enjoyed it and even though I did a few internships, what I experienced during the internships was not at all an accurate representation of what it's like as a full-time employee.

I reckon I might've gotten a better feel of what the life of a lawyer is like if I got to shadow a lawyer instead of doing mostly research for them. So I second Spencer James' suggestion to shadow a dietician or someone who is doing what you're interested in doing to get a taste of their life.

As for the business classes, my vote is to finish the degree, then, if you want, go on to do your dietic degree.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
Scott D Clark

Profile:

You need to follow your passion, no matter what direction it takes you from other's expectations. You will most definitely regret not doing so. As stated by someone already, a business degree is bland enough to assist in a number of different jobs and I think finishing up there would be wise. Just having a degree will get you in the door to decent/great jobs and it is much better to figure out where your true passion is while earning a living wage and having nice benefits that it is to struggle and have your feet to the fire. Good luck and geaux Tigers.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
Trey Freeman

Profile:

Thank to everyone who gave their input. I greatly appreciate it! I have been doing a lot of thinking and praying over these past couple weeks and have decided to stick it out with my management degree. I only have 1 year left and nothing is holding me back from owning my own box in the future.

Liz, I will for sure check out NTA and let them know you gave me the info on it.

A few things have happened that help with that decision. I have a buddy who is enlisting in special forces when we graduate. We both share the same passion for CrossFit and want to own our own boxes eventually. Well, he asked me if he fronted me the money (he's pretty well off) for the box would I open one and run it till he gets out of Special Forces.

Oh man... I think I passed out when he told me this. So my future dreams in CrossFit just got a little bit brighter and a lot more realistic.

So if any affiliates out there has some input or advice id like to talk. Also if anyone knows or if any affiliates are seeking interns I would love to intern this summer. Paid unpaid could care less. I just want the experience.

Once again I thank you all for your input,

Blessing,
GEAUX TIGERS BEAT BAMA

Trey
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Here is a blog that interviewed 5 gym owners and asked them what it was like to own and run a gym. Pretty interesting. Might give you some insight into what it is like. Looks like all of them wished they had some more business background, so finishing out the degree is probably a good idea. (Link wfs)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Michael Buck

Profile:

Trey,

I was/am in a very similar situation. I graduated LSU in Management in '08. Got really interested in nutrition shortly after. Decided to come back to LSU this fall and pursue a Registered Dietitian path.

Contact me at mbuck7@lsu.edu
We can talk more about LSUís nutrition program, Crossfit, Paleo, etc.

Geaux Tigers
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
John Rolfe

Profile:

My brother in law has a Bachelors in English from the University of WI.

He is a web programmer.

Get the business degree while pursuing electives in other areas that you really have a passion for much like Katherine said before me.