CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
Michael Petersen

Profile:
Re: Motivation for Good Nutrition

All good points above,

...my biggest piece of advice is to keep lots of Paleo style snacks around you. Make your own jerky (my smoker has been a godsend) so you can always have tasty protein available. I keep mine in ziplock baggies and it lasts for weeks. I actually prefer dry roasted unsalted almonds from Costco to any of the flavored varieties now. A handful of almonds and some jerky is perfect for between meal cravings, and can be consumed anywhere without need for refridgeration.

When I first started Paleo, I made Paleo versions of every cheat food I could think of (my paleo chocolate chip cookies are the bomb). Most of these are pretty time consuming to make (and expensive). After a while, I just lost interest in making them or eating them.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
Sandon Viers

Profile:

I always tell myself that it's too easy to give in to temptation. Anyone can lose self control, but you respect yourself a lot more staying strict. Pride.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
Carly Presakarchuk

Profile:

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info!

After meal planning all of last week, I am definitely in a better mindset this week. Having the food ready makes things very simple, as a lot of you said. And I love the quote, Nothing tastes as good as being fit! Well said.

Here's another question for anyone reading this... Do you go straight into hardcore Paleo as Robb Wolf says you should? Eg. Do 30 days of strict paleo and after that THEN start reintroducing some legumes, dairy etc to see how you handle it. For myself, it seems mentally easier to ease into Paleo, and slowing take things OUT of my diet (the opposite approach). Maybe this is a ridiculous idea and not logical. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
Carly Presakarchuk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandon Viers View Post
I always tell myself that it's too easy to give in to temptation. Anyone can lose self control, but you respect yourself a lot more staying strict. Pride.
Love it
Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #25
Martha Lamb

Profile:

Here's another question for anyone reading this... Do you go straight into hardcore Paleo as Robb Wolf says you should? Eg. Do 30 days of strict paleo and after that THEN start reintroducing some legumes, dairy etc to see how you handle it. For myself, it seems mentally easier to ease into Paleo, and slowing take things OUT of my diet (the opposite approach). Maybe this is a ridiculous idea and not logical. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks![/quote]

For me, it was a gradual progression. I didn't ever intend to "go Paleo", but as I removed things one by one, I discovered that I have some food sensitivities. And all of a sudden, here I am eating Paleo. And I LOVE it. Slurping down good fats is the bomb!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
Luke Seubert

Profile:

The following article contains some very helpful advice on the subject of motivation. I found it to be quite useful, and I hope others do too.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
Adam Bueltel

Profile:

I really had to come up with a meal plan in order to stick to it. I found it too hard to put paleo meals together on the fly, and used "i dont have time to make a paleo meal" as an excuse for too long. One I made a meal plan, it all fell into place. I made a PaleoZone plan, same meals everyday, and I cook M-Th on sunday night and store them each in meal tuppaware containers so I just grab and go. I went the strict way, and honestly, after eating that way for 2-3 weeks, everything that's NOT paleo will almost disgust you. Fast food and sweets will disgust you first, the other starches will take longer but you'll get to a point where it's easy.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #28
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly Presakarchuk View Post
Here's another question for anyone reading this... Do you go straight into hardcore Paleo as Robb Wolf says you should? Eg. Do 30 days of strict paleo and after that THEN start reintroducing some legumes, dairy etc to see how you handle it. For myself, it seems mentally easier to ease into Paleo, and slowing take things OUT of my diet (the opposite approach). Maybe this is a ridiculous idea and not logical. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!
Easing into it is not a ridiculous idea... it's just a method of getting to the goal. Although if it's not working out for you, in that you don't find yourself consuming less and less of the lesser non/lesser-Paleo foods but find yourself consuming the same amounts or more, then it may be time to go cold turkey.

I went hardcore straight because I didn't like being neither here nor there.