CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #31
Keith Walker

Profile:
Re: 400m Walking Lunge WOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Keith, I'm not new to doing CF, competing in CF, coaching CF, or training in general. I've learned from some great coaches and trained alongside plenty of amazing athletes, and I've had several people whose opinions I really respect say that I'm a pretty good coach and programmer. And yes, I've attended the CF Games...twice in fact, in addition to several regional/sectional competitions.

I've done more than a little bit of reading and research on CF's methodology and plenty of other effective training methods. If nothing else you should have been able to tell that by my post count.

I still say 400m of walking lunges is a dumb workout.
HA! Fair enough. As in my initial brief post, you extracted something I did not mean, and vise versa.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #32
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

I can look at this workout, and know without a doubt that I'm not working out for a few days following. I think if I scaled it in half, that would still be the case.

I show up at my box yesterday, and the workout is 400m overhead walking lunges, men with 45lb plate, women with 25. The trainer skipped the strength work because it had been taking people over 35 minutes to complete.

I shared my opinion that this would do nothing but put me out of commision for the rest of the week, and the trainer said I would be fine if I did some mobility work. I went ahead and did the workout, overhead lunges only lasted about 75 meters, and from there I was carrying the plate on my back. I finished in just under 30 minutes.

I will now be cherry picking which days I go to my box and which days I train at home to avoid anything else like this ever again.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #33
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
I can look at this workout, and know without a doubt that I'm not working out for a few days following. I think if I scaled it in half, that would still be the case.

I show up at my box yesterday, and the workout is 400m overhead walking lunges, men with 45lb plate, women with 25. The trainer skipped the strength work because it had been taking people over 35 minutes to complete.

I shared my opinion that this would do nothing but put me out of commision for the rest of the week, and the trainer said I would be fine if I did some mobility work. I went ahead and did the workout, overhead lunges only lasted about 75 meters, and from there I was carrying the plate on my back. I finished in just under 30 minutes.

I will now be cherry picking which days I go to my box and which days I train at home to avoid anything else like this ever again.
Mobility work helps with soreness, but this is way too much stress. Your trainer obviously has not done this workout or else he/she probably would not have programmed it. I've done this workout once (November 2007) and I had to take off for three or four days, can't remember exactly. I do know that it hurt to walk up and down stairs, and that my first workout back I was still tight all over my lower body.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #34
Greg Mulligan

Profile:

Quote:

I agree that your programmer had never tried the WOD. 400m lunges is an overload. I cant say that in the year I have been CF'ing, I have ever felt such soreness as I have with this WOD. Since doing the WOD, I have recovered, but there were times where my knees would feel week and I would get tight in the morning and at night.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #35
Benjamin Nichols

Profile:

Quote:

Overhead with 45# plate, too? Really...?

You need to re-evaluate who you have as your trainer, sir.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #36
Greg Mulligan

Profile:

Awhile back, we did a burpee and lunge with #45 barbell WOD. I think the total of lunges was somewhere around 50-60 Reps. I was shot after that. I would say doing 400m lunge with a #45 plate is stretching human limits.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #37
Keith Martin

Profile:

This was my first time doing this but I pretty much knew my glutes and legs would be shot for a couples days...fortunately I recover fairly quickly...but to do it with a load overhead, not happening.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #38
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Martin View Post
This was my first time doing this but I pretty much knew my glutes and legs would be shot for a couples days...fortunately I recover fairly quickly...but to do it with a load overhead, not happening.
ditto. I did w.o. when it was Rx'd last week.... I gotta be honest, maybe because I've done a lot of lunges but I didn't think it was that bad. It hurt the next day... but I don't as much as most people would of. I agree overhead sucks but I did throw curls in at the beginning for an extra punch
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #39
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

As a new Crossfitter, and having never done a walking lunge in my entire life, I took one look at this workout and knew that it wasn't going to happen. I actually saw somebody complaining about this workout on the forums just a few days before it was posted again.

I took the day off and spent an extra hour behind my drumset : )