CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Michael Lennox

Profile:
Extreme Chest Pain

I just came in from a run and at the end of 30 min the left side of my chest seized up and it felt like I got shot. I had this before and it was after about the first 5 min but it was in the same place only on my back. I think it might have something to do with my lungs because it hurt when I breathed out but not in. But man did it hurt. Now, its about 15min later and I feel great. Muscle spasm? Heart attack?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Extreme Chest Pain

I think you should've gone to the ER.

Well, at least make an appointment with your family physician.

Usually pain like that is sign of a heart attack...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Jeez I'm only 24 though. Wow... I feel fine now though.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Geoff Nyhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lennox View Post
Jeez I'm only 24 though. Wow... I feel fine now though.
I rarely post, but this has me worried for you. Steven is right.
Make an appointment to see your doctor. Please.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Michael Lennox

Profile:

I will talk to a doctor in my family. After looking up information online I can only conclude that it wasn't a heart attack. I can't explain it, but I think it was my left lung, or just a cramp. Nothing else bothered me, it was really humid and it was only that one area but it didn't slow me down. I would figure a heart attack would put me in my tracks. Like I said it happened before on a hot night and I just started on my run, but it was more towards my back, and I tried to push through it but then thought better of it and stopped and put my hands over my head and walked it out. It went away and I went on running for another 20 minutes.
I don't know. I don't have a full time job yet for a decent insurance plan and I'm just worried that I will be charged for getting a scan or whatever only for them to tell me that it is nothing.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Jason L. Jones

Profile:

Better to have the doc tell you its nothing than to take a trip in the ambulance the next time it happens. It doesn't sound like a heart attack because the symptoms cleared up. It does sound a bit like acute angina (chest pain as a result of decreased oxygen to the cardiac muscles). Once you stop and get a little more oxygen the symptoms clear. The pain in you chest and back could indicate the area of the heart that's "hurting." Nothing a little consultation shouldn't help, and possibly a stress EKG. This will point out any abnormal heart rhythms when it's really pumping and its a routine (walk in at most places) procedure.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Michael Lennox

Profile:

You guys ever heard of Tietze’s syndrome? It definitely fits my symptoms. I have a very tender spot right near my sternum (just found it out). Its on the left side of my chest. Here are the symptoms that I got from health scout.com
Causes and Risk Factors of Tietze's Syndrome (Costochondritis)
The cause is unknown. The syndrome usually affects older children and young adults. It occurs more often in women than men.

Symptoms of Tietze's Syndrome (Costochondritis)
Pain, tenderness, and spindle-shaped swelling occur in one or more of the 4 upper ribs. Most patients have only one joint involved, usually the second or third costochondral joint. The tenderness and swelling are localized.

The pain may have a sudden or gradual onset, and may be mild or severe, dull or sharp in nature. Sudden coughing or deep breathing accentuates the pain. The pain typically diminishes after a few weeks or months, but the swelling may persist.

I think I'm going to take a week off. It kind of sucks because Im two weeks into my cycle, but I kind of want this thing to go away. AND I will be seeing a doctor because I have to get blood work done anyway. Any other advice or prior experiences would be great.
No offense but you guys kinda scared the crap out of me.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Costochondritis/Tietze doesn't really onset with sudden excruciating & seizing pain..... but whatever works dude
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lennox View Post
No offense but you guys kinda scared the crap out of me.
Good.

Better to be scared into an unnecessary visit to the ER, than to be dead because you talked yourself out of getting treatment when you needed it.

My guess is that your doctor will insist you get a stress test. Regardless of what you think it might be, chest pain is not something you want to take chances with.

Katherine
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Well let it be said I will be taking a trip to my doctor, but should I stop completely this week or do some light walking/hiking (nice woods by my house), rowing or biking?
Katherine, yeah I will be getting my check up and stuff.
Steve - "The pain may have a sudden or gradual onset, and may be mild or severe, dull or sharp in nature." I know its from a website but its not wikipedia, and other sites have said it can be sudden or gradual as well.

I think I agitated it even more on friday the day after it happen because I was doing heavy DB swings and if I try to mimic the movement now I feel it.
Either way I will be heading to the doctors