CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:
Experience with psychological medications?

Hey guys

starting up on medication for bipolar pretty soon....had a scary month back in december and I want to get control of it quickly. My doc recommended lithium, valproic acid, and seroquel, and I am having trouble deciding which would be the best, considering my passion for crossfit. Has anyone had experience/know someone who has had experience with any of these drugs? Thanks guys!

-Mike
Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Re: Experience with psychological medications?

Mike-

Sorry to hear about your December!! My best friend is BP (II) and it can be tough.

To a large extent I think that psych drugs are very individual. You need to find what works for you (and your insurance). I HIGHLY recommend working with a psychiatrist who is well versed in the various drugs instead of a PCP as they all have goods and bads and the psychiatrist will just be more familiar with your options. My other recommendation is to also do some good old fashioned counseling... no, it won't get rid of the BP, but I (totally personally) do not think ANYONE should be on psych meds and not be in counseling.

My best friend is on a a combo of drugs. She finds that Lamictal works best for her (Li worked too, but it caused her hair to fall out... she's one of those 1% of patients patient...). She is also on two other drugs, but I never remember what they heck they are! She runs and is fairly active so I don't see a huge issue. Though Li is know to be a sodium waster and so you could have sodium balance issue (potentially) with it.

I do know that Depakote has some nasty side effects and she avoided it at all costs.

Good luck!!

Karin
Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Doesn't lithium require blood tests?
I've heard that gabapentin (neurontin) and one of the anti-depressants is good for bipolar type II. Don't forget that fish oil and the Zone diet have apparently been shown in studies to help manage bipolar. I think the intense exercise would help as well.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Broadly speaking there are three approaches and one works well for most patients. #1 is mood stabilizer + antidepressant. This usually means a drug approved for seizures (Depakote (valproic acid), Tegretol (carbemazepine), Neurontin (gabapentin), Lamictal, others) + SSRI/SNRI. SSRI or SNRI alone can precipitate a manic episode and is to be avoided. #2 is Lithium (not used now like it was in the past). #3 is an atypical antipsychotic like Zyprexa or Seroquel, either alone or with an antidepressant.

I have not seen valproic acid (Depakote) used as monotherapy but that certainly doesn't mean it can't be done. Depakote is noted for its weight gain. The atypicals are known to increase blood sugar/diabetes. All three of the regimens you mention will need lab work, each for various reasons.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

It's very difficult to say that what worked for one person will work just as well for you, to echo someone above me. People will experience different side effects ranging from dry mouth and lack of libido to manic behavior and depression depending on how the drug interacts.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to start on what the doctor thinks would be best and keep a daily log of your mood and health. Different drugs have different lengths of time before they fully kick in, so make sure you are on them for at least that long assuming you don't get the random rare and serious side effect. Bring your log to your doctor and be sure to bring up any concerns you have, he may want you to switch drugs, try a different dose, etc.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:

thanks guys!

I am in therapy already, and have been taking flax seed oil daily with paleo (I don't know what it is, but I can't keep weight on zone....I got up to around 6x fat last time I tried and was still losing).

And yea, I heard depakote had some nasties, but didn't know it was that bad. Not really considering lithium either because of how it affects electrolyte balance.

My doc mentioned the SSRI route, but said he would rather steer clear of a combo medication for now, and try a single med. Leaning towards seroquel for the time being, it seems like it has the least sides. Thanks for all of the help once again! If anyone has any more advice, I am all ears.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:

For what it's worth it's probably a good idea to respond with personal info via PM. What is posted on the internet, stays on the internet (forever.)