CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
Justin Gibbs

Profile:
should i......?

Hey guys,
I do crossfit 3 times a week and like to follow the .com wod. Should I just do whatever workout comes up on the days i do crossfit ( ie. Its dec.3 so on the main site it says fran so i do fran) or should i pick a three day block and apply it to my week.

Your advice would be helpful.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: should i......?

There isn't going to be a huge difference between picking a 3 day block and picking the current WOD of the day 3 times a week.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Ian Haya

Profile:

If you're doing CrossFit 3x/week and can dedicate an hour or so to each session, I'd suggest doing both a strength (ME) and metcon workout. Assuming MWF 3x/wk, M-Squat/W-Press/F-Deadlift for a strength focus or M-Squat/W-Snatch/F-Clean & Jerk for a power focus. Reps of 1, 3, or 5 for squat/press/deadlift, and 1, 2, or 3 for snatch/c&j.

Then, out of the 5-6 workouts from a week of .com, you'll usually have 3-5 metcons to pick from. You can either do the one for that day (which is kind of what I like to do, so I can "compete" on that day), or just backtrack to the last one you didn't do. Yes, there is some thought that goes into the order of the WODs, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Samuel Friedman

Profile:

I would say it depends on your reason for only doing the wod 3 times a week...lack of equipment or time? or interference w/ another sport? or do you just need more rest in between workouts?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Justin Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Friedman View Post
I would say it depends on your reason for only doing the wod 3 times a week...lack of equipment or time? or interference w/ another sport? or do you just need more rest in between workouts?
I do bjj about 3-4 times a week as well but still like to get in a good conditioning workout 3x a week.

I like ian's suggestion alot. I do need to up the strength, but do you think the work load will be too great considering that i sometimes have to do cf in the morning and bjj at night?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
Samuel Friedman

Profile:

Unless you have an unlimited supply of energy, I wouldn't do a strength and metcon the same day as bjj...crossfit was designed for you to be able to do the normal workout plus a sport...is the reason you cant do crossfit every day because of time constraints? To answer your original question, I think either way is just as valid
Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Justin Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Friedman View Post
Unless you have an unlimited supply of energy, I wouldn't do a strength and metcon the same day as bjj...crossfit was designed for you to be able to do the normal workout plus a sport...is the reason you cant do crossfit every day because of time constraints? To answer your original question, I think either way is just as valid
Ya it's mostly time constraints. As much as i would love to do it all, all the time i also have a life and a job. wish i didn't but i do. I'm not sure im gonna do strength and metcon the same day but ill give it a whirl before i knock it.

So are you saying that technically i could do cross fit and sport the same day??? Because for time reasons that would help. Currently i train like this.
mon- crossfit am / bjj pm
tues- bjj pm
wen- off
thurs- crossfit am/ bjj pm
fri - cross fit am or pm
sat - bjj mid afternoon

I have noticed a bit of burn out come sunday. I've been doing it about 3 weeks and i'm pretty tired. Im thinking of going 6 days straight alternating bjj and crossfit. Any ideas comments??
Thanks for all the advice so far any more would be appreciated.