CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Jonathan Cain

Profile:
Re: Coming up on Toes during Thrusters/Cleans

If youre having trouble coming up on your toes during lifts, try putting your toes on a 5pd plate when you lift. I got the idea from Dan John's e-book From the Ground Up. Its on page 29/97 http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf

Its got some other tips you may find interesting as well, and its free What more could we ask for? Hope it helps.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Watch any video of any top weightlifter (or any top CrossFitter doing thrusters), and you will see that at some point their toes will come off of the ground. That point is when momentum is doing its job and the body is trying to pull itself down to support the weight again. During this phase of both lifts, the toes happen to come up because it allows for the hamstrings to pull your hips down. Don't worry about it.

The most important lesson I've learned in physical training is that the only way to improve form is to constantly put more weight on the bar, do more in less time, or do it for longer. In the clean & jerk, for example, your form will be excellent only when you are very close to your one rep max. At lower weights, your body will distribute the force away from the glutes and hamstrings because it's more efficient. At higher weights, your body will automatically do the most efficient thing and distribute the force to the largest muscles. Haven't you ever noticed that light push jerks are harder than pressing the same weight?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Interestingly T-nation came out with just the article for you today.

(sometimes WFS.. scantily clad women on the side at times)
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

Basically what Greg Everett had us doing for squat flexibility at the oly lifting seminar.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
Jacob Singleton

Profile:

Thanks for all the help guys! I haven't been able to post on this site for a while.
Another question i thought about would doing modified pistols where I hold on to a door frame or something in front of me, would that help strengthen the posterior chain to where I could squat down and keep my weight on my heels cause when I try to do OHS the same thing happens when I start to squat down I immediately come up on the toes and it causes to lose my balance? Just was curious thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Probably a combination of the tight hammies as well as very poor thoracic mobility and hunched forward shoulders (if your posture is bad).
Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Probably a combination of the tight hammies as well as very poor thoracic mobility and hunched forward shoulders (if your posture is bad).
Yep, tight hammies and/or tight shoulders/chest and/or weak erectors/lats.

Or it could simply be not focusing on pushing down through the floor instead of simply standing up out of the squat. You should squat through the heels (really is should be the entire foot, but if you think "through the heels" it's easier to keep the foot planted)
Old 01-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
Ryan Blair

Profile:

Also if you didn't see the Jeff Martone video that was posted today, there is a great little drill to self correct any fwd lean in squating. Check it out. Probably letting your knees go out over your toes.