CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Bruno Tourinho

Profile:
Re: Programming CrossFit + Strength + Gymnastics / Mobility

Thank you for the answer Brendan,

It is kinda hard for us to have the coaches prep course here, at least by now.

We have a growing number of affiliates. Maybe someday in the future. I know some coaches that attended to the coaches prep, but they had to travel to the US to attend to it.

Meanwhile I'm doing what I can, working on my studies as well attending to weightlifting and gymnastics courses.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Bruno Tourinho

Profile:

Thanks for answering Blair,

That's exactly the problem, 60 minutes class = 60 minutes results

If you wanna build something more consistent you'll have to expend an extra time on it.

I have an athlete doing 5/3/1 and he's improving his strength, I'm just a little concerned about his gymnastic skills.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Cut the warmup/mobility back to 10 minutes, maybe inching toward 15. You can keep more mobility at the end of class on their own (which probably means they will jam out but some will stay).

Then you have a bit of time for skill work be it gymnastics, CF skills (DU, kipping pullups) or the SnCJ. 15-20 minutes for a 531 lift and 15-20 minutes for conditioning/WOD.

If you schedule a chipper/longer wod, you merely omit the 531 lift. Bare in mind, you only schedule 4 days a week for 531 which gives you 2 days to insert longer WOD's or Hero wods should you choose to.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Cut the warmup/mobility back to 10 minutes, maybe inching toward 15. You can keep more mobility at the end of class on their own (which probably means they will jam out but some will stay).
10 minutes of warm up? Wow, that's long to me. For a class I'm in the 5-8 range top. Mobility work is done on their own at the end, while the next class is warming up.

Food for thought.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
plans mostly like 20 min warm up / 20 min technique / 20 min wod.
Well 10 minutes+ instead of 20 is 10 minutes saved.

I know in gymnastics for our 55/60min formats, we are generally allowed up to 10 minutes, if not like 8. However, I tend to include up to 15 for warmup and basic skills and maybe up to 20 with basic handstand work. It kinda depends if I rotate on my own or have to abide a set schedule.

In a CF class, you can encourage members to come in before the class and do the warmup stuff, go over a short warmup with them and get to it.

But if you have a bunch of stiff, inflexible people it might benefit them to put a little more work into it. Especially if they would be lost or unmotivated themselves.

You saw my warmup video. That takes maybe 2-3 minutes besides the few passes of bear/crab walks, lunges and duckwalks. So probably under 10 for me if that.