CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Todd Neal

Profile:
28 days in ketosis

Thought I'd document my efforts here, if anyone is interested. Using what I know (or think I know) about nutritional ketosis, I'm going to try it very strictly for 28 days (4 weeks) and see where I end up. If I'm at all successful, I'll likely continue for another couple weeks.

Weight: 170
Height: 5' 7"
Abs Showing: Upper
BF: Unknown

[I don't know my body fat, I'm going to use calipers tonight for it. I'll update tomorrow with that. I'm really only interested in getting my abs more visible--currently my upper abs are showing a little, the lower ones are hidden--so the mirror test takes priority over calipers for me.]

So the plan is to eat <50g of carbs, <120g protein, and the rest fat each day. I'm not worried about calorie count, never have been, and at this point I'm not measuring my foods either. Hahaha, we'll see how this goes.

I do plan on daily WoDs as much as 6 days per week, but already I find I'm tired while starting this diet. I workout in the mornings and it's difficult waking up before 6am. I blame the lack of carbs, but I'm also fairly sure I just need to adapt, so I'll monitor morning energy as I go.

As for nutrition on workout days, I'll have a banana immediately after the workout to replenish glycogen, but not so much as to fall out of ketosis. I know that one high-carb meal can take me out of ketosis for the next 3 days, so I'm going to be very careful about cheating.

Ok, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited by Todd Neal : 10-01-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: 28 days in ketosis

The fact that you are not tracking your calories will be a total failure. If you don't get the results you want, how do you know it isn't because you were eating too many calories?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I think the usual prescription for a keto diet is 15-30g of Carbs, per day.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
The fact that you are not tracking your calories will be a total failure. If you don't get the results you want, how do you know it isn't because you were eating too many calories?
A good point. I have no idea how much I burn per day (and don't point me to a calculator) so tracking calories from the beginning is only relevant for being able to adjust your calories later. In other words, if I start gaining weight, maybe I'll cut back on what I eat. If I start losing, then I'm good. No need to know the exact number, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I think the usual prescription for a keto diet is 15-30g of Carbs, per day.
I basing this on Peter Attia's recommendation of <50g, but I think I'm <30g most days anyway. My carbs are really only coming from nuts and leafy veggies, so I'm not too worried. I appreciate the correction.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

To get into ketosis asap one should be < 20g daily, this will kick most people into it very fast.

But to stay in it < 50g is ok, some say even < 100g if you are an active individual and eat carbs "at the right moment".

Good luck Todd.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

Quote:
This is a valid point. One of the reasons why keto can fail to get you a six-pack is surplus or even equilibrium of calories. You still need a caloric deficit. Keto-adaptation (4-6 weeks is necessary) prepares your enzymes to burn fat instead of glucose and takes away sugar fluctuations and hunger, making caloric restriction possible.

A clear sign of keto-adaptation for me (and I see it repeated by keto experts), is that you are almost never hungry and can go without eating much longer without even thinking about food.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
To get into ketosis asap one should be < 20g daily, this will kick most people into it very fast. But to stay in it < 50g is ok, some say even < 100g if you are an active individual and eat carbs "at the right moment". Good luck Todd.
Thanks, Dare! I'll definitely be trying to time my carbs so that I don't ever fall out of ketosis once I'm in it, which should be starting tonight (it's day 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dreyzen View Post
This is a valid point. One of the reasons why keto can fail to get you a six-pack is surplus or even equilibrium of calories. You still need a caloric deficit. Keto-adaptation (4-6 weeks is necessary) prepares your enzymes to burn fat instead of glucose and takes away sugar fluctuations and hunger, making caloric restriction possible.
But do you see how if I don't know what I'm burning, how can I know if I'm in a deficit or surplus? Not to mention the amount of muscle & fat on me affects caloric burn, water and alcohol intake, caffeine, capsaicin, MCT oil, metcons vs lifting workouts, and then there's the efficiency at which my body is working which at the start of ketosis may go down but by 4 weeks may be up again, and finally the adaptation of the body in a starvation state. There are too many variables.

By the way, I checked a few different online calculators which put me in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 kcals burned per day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to pig out, I'm just not going to try to track everything that goes in my mouth. If I may point to our ancestors, they simply ate when they were hungry, assuming there was food around, which is like me at work
Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
But do you see how if I don't know what I'm burning, how can I know if I'm in a deficit or surplus? Not to mention the amount of muscle & fat on me affects caloric burn, water and alcohol intake, caffeine, capsaicin, MCT oil, metcons vs lifting workouts, and then there's the efficiency at which my body is working which at the start of ketosis may go down but by 4 weeks may be up again, and finally the adaptation of the body in a starvation state. There are too many variables.

By the way, I checked a few different online calculators which put me in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 kcals burned per day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to pig out, I'm just not going to try to track everything that goes in my mouth. If I may point to our ancestors, they simply ate when they were hungry, assuming there was food around, which is like me at work
But since you are doing this as a test, then how do we know if it is a miracle diet or if you got the results you wanted because you were eating the right amount of calories?

When I first started Carb Backloading last year, initially I just gained 10# and I got fat. I didn't count my calories because no one else was and they were getting great results. When I actually started tracking my calories I realized that I was eating way too much for me. Then when I started tracking my calories I actually started seeing the results I was looking for. I did the same thing with the Renegade Diet and even years ago when I had my best results with the 100% strict Paleo Diet, I also had the best results when I actually tracked my calories. After a while I realized that I got the best results when I kept track what I was eating.

So if I was in your shoes and wanted to do a good test and show everyone, I'd keep track of your calories. If you think that a calorie isn't a calorie, then have 3000 calories per day, since that is the highest recommended for you and see for yourself if a calorie really is a calorie or not. Because right now, no matter what your results are, no one is going to know the real answer.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Here is a quick guide to get into ketosis for you.
http://josepharcita.blogspot.com.au/...osis.html#33EE WFS

Quote:
3E. How to Enter Ketosis Quickly, Easily, and Reliably ↑
What initiates ketosis is an empty store of liver-glycogen, so this method will attempt to eliminate liver-glycogen stores in the quickest manner possible.

Here is the full-proof method to enter ketosis:

Day 1:

Do not eat anything after 6 p.m.
Day 2:

Wake up and perform HIIT (high intensity interval training) or intense conditioning/weight training on an empty stomach
Begin a strict ketogenic diet with 0-2% of calories attributed to carbohydrates.
Day 3:

Wake up and perform MISS (medium intensity steady state) or light-medium intensity conditioning/weight training on an empty stomach
Begin a normal ketogenic diet with 5% of calories attributed to carbohydrates
If not already, you will soon be in ketosis in a short matter of time.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
But since you are doing this as a test, then how do we know if it is a miracle diet or if you got the results you wanted because you were eating the right amount of calories?
Well... I guess I'm not really trying to prove anything, or even make a case for ketosis. And it seems to me that even if I ended up saying I lost weight eating 4,000 calories, people would think that I over-estimated my intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli Kellett View Post
Here is a quick guide to get into ketosis for you.
http://josepharcita.blogspot.com.au/...osis.html#33EE WFS
Thanks, Oli, I should be in ketosis already but I'll double check when I get home (urine (not the best method)).