CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Cain Papettas

Profile:
Re: Gslp "plug ins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Again, it's not a good idea to do 5 minutes of burpees on a regular basis. The whole point of the progression is that you build up on them gradually enough to where they never really wear you out that bad, and by the time you're ready to attempt 100 of them you KNOW you'll be able to go under 5 minutes because your last attempt at 95 was well on pace.

Rest will vary based on how many you're doing. If it's sets of 10, you may only need to rest 30-60 seconds. When I was doing multiple sets of 40, I would sometimes do one set during my warmups and the remaining ones after my lifting.
Sorry eric that question could of been for any set lol i meant the sets for your main lifts bench,deads etc etc

Also i been doing vc1 as presribed i do 3x22 every minute and rest a min 5/6 times weekly or do you think that is too much still, ive used them ad my warn up for my main lifts
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yeah that sounds alright on the burpees, but once you're able to do 3 sets at the pace of less than 3 seconds per rep you should be good to bump the reps up by 5.

As for lifting, rest 3-5 minutes between sets. However long it takes you to not feel the previous set anymore.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Cain Papettas

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah that sounds alright on the burpees, but once you're able to do 3 sets at the pace of less than 3 seconds per rep you should be good to bump the reps up by 5.

As for lifting, rest 3-5 minutes between sets. However long it takes you to not feel the previous set anymore.
ok sweet thanks heaps for that! yeah the only sets im struggling with is the shoulder press only getting 6 in good form out always been my downfall, are still on the program? hows it all going for u?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

if you do snatches or overhead squats to warmup up to squats one day and then front squats to warmup to squats another day i have found that to be very helpful in keeping both of those movements trained and strong. i also like the suggestion of using power cleans to warm up or deadlifts. other than that, the weighted chins and curls are good. i also like to add some tricep work after my bench and rows at least one day a week. i also do at least one ab exercise per workout, hanging leg raise, knees to elbows, weighted situps, L-sit holds, etc. i also do ab wheels all week long via the FM method. the FM pushups, pullups, and burpees work excellent.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Papettas View Post
ok sweet thanks heaps for that! yeah the only sets im struggling with is the shoulder press only getting 6 in good form out always been my downfall, are still on the program? hows it all going for u?
How many reps were you getting on your press 5+ set when you started? Hopefully at least 8, if not you probably started too high in weight. Weighted dips on press days will help keep your press numbers going up.

I'm not doing GSLP anymore. Made good progress on it but eventually it stopped fitting my schedule, and the 3 sets of 5 were leaving me feeling beat up. So I switched to 5/3/1, doing a single lift per day fits my schedule better and the workload is a little more manageable.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Cain Papettas

Profile:

Quote:
How many reps were you getting on your press 5+ set when you started? Hopefully at least 8, if not you probably started too high in weight. Weighted dips on press days will help keep your press numbers going up.

I'm not doing GSLP anymore. Made good progress on it but eventually it stopped fitting my schedule, and the 3 sets of 5 were leaving me feeling beat up. So I switched to 5/3/1, doing a single lift per day fits my schedule better and the workload is a little more manageable.
Ah i see im doing dips on bench days! And i got 7 to start with i think i got pretty exited, did you increase weight per session or per week? Fron what i read it shold be per session yes?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yep, though you'll probably have a hard time doing 5lb increases for long. Get your hands on some 1lb or 1.25lb plates if possible, or make some for yourself.