CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Christopher Balz

Profile:
Hi everybody,

its my first post here.
To make it short, i do not follow the crossfit training, although my training shares lots of similarities with Xfit.
My goal these times is to lose fat, and i want to do this with interval trainig, Hoc, hillsprints etc.
my question is: does it make a difference wether i do it in the morning on an empty stomach or later in the day?
i know that diet is crucial in fat loss, and i`m eating very healthy, whole foods, veggies, fruits, eggs, meat, nuts, seeds etc. i wont write it down in detail, because i wont change it anymore.
so what do you think? training in the morning more effective than later in the day?

thank you!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
IMO - No

Train whenever you are most likely NOT to miss a workout. I can't see how doing the same amount of work would burn less or more calories done a.m. VS p.m.

I have heard some say a.m. fasted workouts burn more fat but have never seen any credible evidence to back it up!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
David Plakos

Profile:
i second Craig. being able to consistently work out is far more important than the time of day you do it. pick the time you are least likely to be interrupted or kept from training.

for me, that makes mornings best, as i prefer to spend my evenings with my wife and son, and both are still sound asleep when i get up to train.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
No....HIT on empty stomach is going to bonk you quicker since you have no glycogen in the AM...so you tear up muscle tissue...plus the intensity at which you do will be lessened so hence the output will also be lowered.

The AM empty stomach workout may apply to moderate aerobic sustained activity such as walking only....has no place in HIT or other anaerobic training.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Christopher Balz

Profile:
some quick replies, thank you guys.
i hope this kind of workout is the way to go, i have tried long and slow workouts long enough.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
James Goodell

Profile:
I third Craig. I work out early AM because otherwise it wouldn't happen consistently enough (same reasons as David). I can't eat first or I'll invite Pukie to join me, but I can train intensely on an AM empty stomach (took some getting used to). Performance gains have been pleasing - perhaps they aren't absolutely optimal, but it's the best option I've got at this stage of my life and I'm happy with it.

And, yes, Christopher, this kind of workout is definitely the way to go.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
Christopher Balz

Profile:
Thank you, james.
I have no problem working out in the morning, i love to train and it gets me a kick for the rest of the day, i just was unsure if i should keep training at a.m. or mix it up. i`m excited.
i`ve done interval training before but never regulary, now i`ve been doing this for maybe 1 1/2 weeks and it feels really good.

thanks again, people.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:34 AM   #8
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I've done HIIT in the A.M without a problem. It was only about 20 mins total from start to foinish though.

BTW, what's hoc?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #9
Christopher Balz

Profile:
hoc stands for high octane cardio, i`m sure people know it under different names, though.
you do an exercise, maybe push-ups or pull-ups, dumbbell swings, powercleans WHATEVER for a specific number of reps or as much as you can do in a minute for example. that is followed by jogging, jump roping, bagwork or else with an intensity that allows your heartrate come down a little, than you go again with the same exercise or another for time or for reps, and so on and so on. great training with lots of variation, and it really kicks. your hiit consisted only of sprints, i guess?! could you post an example workout?

by the way, i`m from germany, so excuse my english.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Tom Ellison

Profile:
Christopher, I wouldn't worry about your English. I'm from California and you probably have spelling/grammar that is better than 70% of the English speakers I know. When I can talk about sprint intervals, bag work, and heart rate in the foreign languages I'm studying, I'll be VERY pleased.