CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:
jumping on a tire and other ways to save money

I'm building my garage gym rig now. Homemade out of steel tube and pipe.

But im also looking to outfit it with all I need for a WOD but as inexpensive as possible, and one thing I was looking at was plyo boxes. From a supplier they are crazy expensive, and I know there are diy's but they still end up in the $50 range. So I had a thought of jumping on and off my tire. Its 30" wide so its perfect. The only question I had is should I put a piece of plywood across for safety and stability? The side walls are strong and can take my weight. Anyone else do this?

Also any other saving money tips on building a home gym on a budget and ingenuity would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: jumping on a tire and other ways to save money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lichtenwalner View Post
I'm building my garage gym rig now. Homemade out of steel tube and pipe.

But im also looking to outfit it with all I need for a WOD but as inexpensive as possible, and one thing I was looking at was plyo boxes. From a supplier they are crazy expensive, and I know there are diy's but they still end up in the $50 range. So I had a thought of jumping on and off my tire. Its 30" wide so its perfect. The only question I had is should I put a piece of plywood across for safety and stability? The side walls are strong and can take my weight. Anyone else do this?

Also any other saving money tips on building a home gym on a budget and ingenuity would be greatly appreciated.
3yrs of 15+ people per day (the days with jumping) jumping onto a big tire (400lb ish) with 0 issues. Maybe 1 person slid into the hole by jumping too far past the side wall. No injuries.

Google DIY "equipment name" for ideas on building stuff. Also google or check out rosstraining.com (WFS I think.) He has a load of stuff that he's built and its seemed to work for him - dude is a beast.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Sweet. Thanks. I thought it would work fine but before I went gungho and snapped my ankles I figured of ask first.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
James Gist

Profile:

I think a tire would actually be safer than a box. The corners on a box can be pretty nasty if you miss. The tire certainly wouldn't feel great on the shins but you would at least have some shins left.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

I used a tire for my box jumps for about a year, and it is very low impact friendly / forgiving on the knees, feet, and ankles! I love my Rogue games box, but some days I wish it had a little "give" like the tire I was accustomed to.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Rob Brown

Profile:

The only issue I have heard with a tire, is jumping out of it.

We have some big tractor tires, and have done a jump in, jump out then flip. It is possible to hook your feet on the lip during the jump out portion. We now do step outs.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Michael Cook

Profile:

For a garage gym, space is usually an issue. So, I think if you have a tractor tire, you don't need a box. Just use your tire for flipping, sledge hammering, and box jumping.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

My thoughts exactly. I'm trying to make multi use of any equipment I can. Tried jumps today for the first time and it worked great.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Thomas Cofer

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__57u-1d53s

heres my garage gym. Its a little better these days but I still have some good ideas in it. The DIY landmine is pretty cool at the end
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Very cool. How much weight do those pipe and flange storage systems hold? I am building my own rig but was unsure if pipe and a flange bolted to my steel tubing only on one side would be strong enough to store plates