CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Carlos Santellano

Profile:
Ankle injuries among MMA/Muay Thai fighters

I have noticed a common injury/complaint among martial artist who favor striking. The injury/complaint tends to affect the ankle(s). I myself suffered a subluxation of the peroneal tendon while training Muay Thai over a year ago. My injury is better, however I am still limited on a lot of high impact activity (limited running, max-heavy lifting). Several other strikers have complained about ankle/LE pain is various facets which include shin splints and pain with eversion. Those are the two top complaints I've heard so far. These fighters do CrossFit along with their MMA and its only the strikers who have this problem. My grapplers are not affected by this. I've taken them through ankle strengthening/stability and found that a loaded plantarflexion stretch (we call it the "Samurai Sit") tends to relieve the symptoms, but only temporarily. So far no serious injuries other than mine, just a lot of modifying and monitoring. Has anyone else noticed these injuries among their athletes (not just fighters)? Could there be something in the fight technique that is causing this or perhaps in their CrossFit training that is the cause? I want to make sure my guys are ready and are as close to injury free as possible.